Yesterday, Xiaomi launched the Mi 11 Ultra, Mi 11 Pro, Mi 11 Lite 5G, and Mi Band 6 on the first day of its product launch event. And today, the Chinese tech giant has unveiled new foldable smartphone in the industry called Mi Mix Fold. It’s a successor to the Mi Mix 3 (or Mi Mix Alpha) and the first foldable smartphone from Xiaomi.
Mi Mix Fold Specifications
Design & Display
The Mi Mix Fold has the same design and form factor as the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 and the recently launched Huawei Mate X2. It means Xiaomi also offers an inward-folding design with the Mi Mix fold. You have a tall outer display and a huge tablet-like display on the inside.
The device includes a 6.52-inch AMOLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate and 180Hz touch sampling rate on the outside. The panel has a 27:9 aspect ratio, 2520 x 840-pixel resolution, up to 900 nits of peak brightness, and HDR10+ certification. You also have a tiny punch-hole 20MP selfie camera at the top right corner.
The inner display is a huge 8.01-inch flexible OLED panel with a 4:3 aspect ratio and WQHD+ resolution. The display has a standard 60Hz refresh rate and a 120Hz touch sampling rate.
It supports Dolby Vision, MEMC, DCI-P3 color gamut, up to 900 nits of peak brightness, and HDR10+ certification. It is a full-screen display with no cutouts, punch-holes, or notches. You don’t have any cameras on the inside.
Under the hood, Mi Mix Fold is powered by the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chipset. You will also find up to 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and up to 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage. There’s dual-mode 5G network support, Bluetooth 5.2, and Wi-Fi 6 to round up the connectivity options.
The foldable also has a new Butterfly cooling system. It includes a “large-area VC liquid cooling, thermal gel, multilayer graphite sheets, and other heat dissipation methods” for efficient heat dissipation. Mi Mix Fold runs Android 11-based MIUI 12 out-of-the-box. The device also supports a desktop-like PC mode that you can activate with a three-finger swipe on the internal display.
The Mi Mix Fold features a triple camera system that looks similar to the camera setup on the Mi 10 Ultra. It includes a 108MP primary camera, a 13MP ultra-wide lens with a 123-degree FOV, and an 8MP liquid lens. Yeah, as you may already know, the device is equipped with a liquid lens that acts as both the telephoto and macro lens. So essentially, you have a quad-camera setup on the Mi Mix Fold.
How is a liquid lens different from an optical lens? The liquid lens “uses the principle of human eye bionics, forming a lens-like structure with a transparent fluid wrapped in film.” The lens includes a high-precision motor that changes the radius of curvature of the spherical liquid surface. It allows you to switch between 3x optical zoom, 30x digital zoom, and click macro shots with a minimum focus distance of 3cm.
Mi MIX Fold is the world’s first smartphone with liquid lens technology, opening the era of bionic photography.
The Mi Mix Fold includes an in-house Surge C1 Image Signal Processor onboard as well. It is soldered on the motherboard and helps improve the 3A algorithm (AF, AWB, and AE) and low-light focus capabilities. You get a “more accurate auto-focus, auto exposure, and auto white balance, significantly improving image quality,” according to the official blog post.
Battery and Charging
The Mi Mix fold comes equipped with a massive 5,020mAh battery with 67W wired fast-charging support. There is no wireless charging support here. Xiaomi claims that you can fully charge your foldable phone in around 37 minutes.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Full Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, March
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2021, April 16
- Unfolded: 173.3 x 133.4 x 7.6 mm
- Folded: 173.3 x 69.8 x 17.2 mm
- 317 g (Glass)
- 332 g (Ceramic) (11.18 oz)
- Build: Glass front (folded), plastic front (unfolded), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5) or ceramic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Black, Ceramic
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Foldable AMOLED, 1B colors, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, 600 nits (typ), 900 nits (peak)
- Size: 8.01 inches, 160.1 cm2 (~69.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1860 x 2480 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~420 ppi density)
- Cover display: AMOLED, 6.52″, 840 x 2520 pixels (27:9), 90Hz, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, 650 nits (typ), 900 nits (peak)
- Android 10, MIUI 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 16GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 108 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.52″, 0.7µm, dual pixel PDAF
- 8 MP, 80mm (telephoto), PDAF, optical zoom
- 13 MP, f/2.4, 123˚ (ultrawide), 1.12µm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/30fps, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 20 MP, 27mm (wide), 1/3.4″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (4 speakers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Tuned by Harman Kardon
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5020 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 67W, 100% in 37 min (advertised)
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 4+
Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold Price and Availability
The standard version of the phone has a Gorilla Glass back with a ceramic texture. There is also a Ceramic Special Edition, which has a black ceramic back (with laser engraving), plus gold mid-frame and volume buttons.
Both versions of the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold are going on pre-order in China later today. The first units will be available from April 16.
- 12/256GB model goes for CNY10,000 ($1,520/€1,300)
- 12/512GB variant goes for CNY11,000
- 16/512GB model costs CNY13,000.