Xiaomi’s second-generation Ultra flagship is here and just like in 2020, the new model doesn’t disappoint. The phone brings in new technology in a refined form factor and is placed above the Mi 11 Pro, which is already a powerful 2021 flagship. So how does the Mi 11 Ultra distinguish itself from the Pro?
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Design & Display
The Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra comes in just two color options – White Ceramic and Black. Both the colors look very elegant and premium. The camera housing is in black and covers almost the entire upper half of the device.
There are three cameras at the back along with a secondary display that shows you the notifications, battery level, weather, health alerts, and other essential information. There’s also a special Ultra-Low Power saving mode that utilizes this tiny screen to give you up to 55 hours of additional standby time.
However, Xiaomi says that the most important function of the secondary display at the back is to allow high-resolution selfies from its rear cameras.
The display is exactly the same as the Mi 11 Pro, so you get a four curved 6.8-inch E4 AMOLED screen on the front with QHD+ resolution, 120Hz refresh rate. You also have Gorilla Glass Victus protection as the Pro model as well as Dolby Vision support.
The Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra is IP68 certified as well. You also get Harmon Kardon stereo speakers.
The rest of the hardware is the same as the Mi 11 Pro. So the Mi 11 Ultra comes with Snapdragon 888 with LPDDR5 RAM 6400Mbps and UFS 3.1. You get Wi-Fi 6 Enhanced support as well.
Coming to the battery, the Mi 11 Ultra features a 5000mAh capacity battery with 67W wired and wireless charging.
One of the biggest differentiators between the Mi 11 Pro and the Mi 11 Ultra is in their camera departments. The phone features a powerful triple camera setup featuring the same Samsung GN2 50MP primary shooter but with two additional 48MP Sony IMX586 Ultra Wide and TeleMacro cameras.
The 50MP Samsung GN2 comes with 61 degrees FoV with a very sharp focus thanks to dToF technology that features 64 point laser array focus system.
The 48MP Ultra Wide Camera comes with a very wide 128-degree FoV and the third 48MP TeleMacro camera comes with 5x optical zoom and up to 120x digital zoom.
Xiaomi said at the event that the brand has worked hard on the Ultra Night Photo algorithms which combined with the 1/1.5″ large 50MP sensor ensures that you get clear and colorful photos even when the lighting goes down. In fact, the company directly compared the Mi 11 Ultra’s camera to a Sony RX100 M7 compact camera and showed how the former’s camera setup is capable of capturing better low light images.
The Mi 11 Ultra can capture 8K videos from all the 3 camera sensors including the telemacro shooter.mi 11 ultra dxomark
Thanks to this powerful setup, the Mi 11 Ultra has managed to score 143 on DxOMark, making it the best smartphone camera setup on the platform right now.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 28, 32, 38, 40, 41, 42, 66 – International
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 – China
- 5G bands:
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – International
- 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – China
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, March 29
- Status: Exp. release 2021, April 02
- Dimensions: 164.3 x 74.6 x 8.4 mm (6.47 x 2.94 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 234 g (8.25 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), ceramic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Ceramic White, Ceramic Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, HDR10+, 900 nits, 1700 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.81 inches, 112.0 cm2 (~91.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 3200 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~515 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Dolby Vision
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Storage: 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/1.12″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 48 MP, f/4.1, 120mm (periscope telephoto), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom
- 48 MP, f/2.2, 12mm, 128˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama, 1.1” AMOLED selfie display
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10+ rec.
- Selfie Camera: Single – 20 MP, f/2.2, 27mm (wide), 1/3.4″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Tuned by Harman Kardon
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with tri-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- Radio: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Type: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 67W, 100% in 36 min (advertised)
- Fast wireless charging 67W, 100% in 39 min (advertised)
- Reverse wireless charging 10W
- Quick Charge 4+
- Power Delivery 3.0
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra Price and Availability
The phone comes in black and white and its price of the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra starts at;
- 5999 yuan ($914) for its 8GB RAM + 256GB version
- 6499 yuan ($990) for its 12GB RAM + 256GB version
- 6999 yuan ($1065) for its 12GB RAM + 512GB version
- 6999 yuan ($1065) for Xiaomi Mi 11 Marbled Ceramic Special Edition
All versions will go on sale from April 2 in China. No word on global availability yet.