The vivo S9 and vivo S9e has unveiled in China today. The former is the first phone to have MediaTek’s 6nm Dimensity 1100 chipset under the hood while the latter comes with the Dimensity 820. Performance is not the only focus for vivo’s new phones as both phones have nice cameras too.
The vivo S9 features a 6.44-inch OLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate and a 180Hz touch sampling rate. The display has a TÜV Rheinland Eye Comfort Certification, an SGS Seamless certification, and HDR10+.
The 6nm Dimensity 1100 clocked at 2.6GHz is paired with 8GB/12GB of RAM and 128GB or 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage. There is no support for storage expansion.
There are three cameras on the back of the vivo S9. The primary camera is a 64MP sensor with OIS and it comes along with an 8MP ultrawide angle camera and a 2MP macro camera. There are two selfie cameras – a 44MP primary sensor with autofocus and an 8MP ultrawide angle camera with a portrait lens for wide-angle selfies. There are also two soft lights in front for illumination when you take selfies in low-light environments.
As expected of vivo, there are some interesting camera features bundled with the vivo S9. There is an AI brightening and AI noise reduction feature that helps brightens and enhances facial features in low-light environments. There is also a 3D five-fold super texture beauty mode that adds 3D face highlighting and contouring and a handful of other enhancements to selfie photos. The vivo S9 also has a VLOG mode and double exposure mode.
vivo says the new phone has an ultra-thin VC cooling plate that is 12.5% thinner than a traditional cooling plate. It also covers a 30% larger cooling area (136% overall) compared to the previous generation.
The vivo S9 is fueled by a 4000mAh battery capacity with support for 33W fast charging. The phone has NFC, Bluetooth 5.2, dual SIM support, an in-display fingerprint scanner, and face unlock. It runs OriginOS 1.0 based on Android 11 out of the box.
vivo S9 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, March 03
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March
- Dimensions: 158.4 x 73.9 x 7.4 mm (6.24 x 2.91 x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 173 g (6.10 oz)
- Colors: Black, White, Gradient Blue
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+
- Size: 6.44 inches, 100.1 cm2 (~85.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~409 ppi density)
- Android 11, OriginOS 1.0
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6891Z Dimensity 1100 5G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- RAM: 8GB, 12GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 44 MP, f/2.0, (wide), AF
- 8 MP, f/2.3, 105˚ (ultrawide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W, 66% in 30 min (advertised)
vivo S9 Price and Availability
The vivo S9 is priced at;
- ¥2999 for the 8GB RAM + 128GB version
- ¥3299 for the 12GB RAM + 256GB version
Pre-orders are live now ahead of the first sale on March 12.