Samsung has remember workers in the field with the launch of the Galaxy Xcover 5. It’s a tough little phone that can bounce back after falls from 1.5m (5 ft) thanks to its enhanced shock absorbers. Also, it is rated IP68 meaning it can spend over 30 minutes below 1m of water and is completely sealed against dust. It has a MIL-STD810H certification too.
The smartphone features a 5.3” LCD with 720p+ resolution. Biometric security is provided by the 5 MP front-facing camera built into the bezel above the display.
Samsung worked with partners to provide integration usable in a wide variety of business scenarios. The push-to-talk function allows you to use the Xcover 5 as a walkie-talkie with the Microsoft Teams app. Also, the Xcover Key can be customized to launch any app you like.
The Samsung Knox Capture feature turns the rear 16 MP camera into an enterprise-grade barcode scanner. The phone runs Android 11 with all the Knox security features, so it can carry sensitive information. The phone is powered by an Exynos 850 chipset is paired with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB storage.
The 3,000 mAh battery is user-replaceable. It can be charged through the USB-C port at 15W or using a cradle that connects to the two pogo pins. With NFC the phone can be used as a transportation card to help workers commute to work. The phone will be available in single and dual SIM configurations (this is region dependent).
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, March 04
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March 12
- Dimensions: 147.1 x 71.6 x 9.2 mm (5.79 x 2.82 x 0.36 in)
- Colors: Black
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810H compliant
- Type: TFT
- Size: 5.3 inches, 67.8 cm2 (~64.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~331 ppi density)
- Android 11, One UI 2.0
- Chipset: Exynos 850 (8nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/1.8, PDAF
- Features: Dual LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 5 MP, f/2.2
- Video: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, charging connector pins
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 3000 mAh, removable
- Charging: Fast battery charging 15W
Models: SM-G525F, SM-G525F/DS
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 Price and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 will be available in select markets in Europe, Asia and Latin America first later this month. Other regions will get it later.
In the UK in particular the phone will go on sale on March 12 and will be available online at the Samsung Business Shop for £330. You can find the Xcover 5 and Samsung’s other rugged devices here. These “Galaxy Rugged” devices will be available at Samsung Experience Stores as soon as it is safe to reopen.
In Belgium, the phone should be available later today for €290.