Realme has announced the successor of the 7 series â€“ meet the Realme 8 and 8 Pro. However, looking at the spec, the past 7-series have a lot similarity with the new 8-series.
Realme 8 Pro
It will be difficult for the Realme 8 Pro to escape comparisons with its predecessor. The obvious upgrade is the main camera with its 108MP sensor. However, a few things are the same and there are even some regressions, so the 8 Pro is not a clear-cut upgrade over the 7 Pro. Even the realme 6 Pro is not easy to dismiss.
All three models are powered by the Snapdragon 720G. Itâ€™s a chipset that realme knows and loves. And it has spent a lot of time optimizing Realme UI to run on that particular chip. Along with the C25 announced on Monday, the 8 and 8 Pro are the first to come with version 2.0 of the UI out of the box outside of China.
Memory options are the same, you can pick between 6GB and 8GB of RAM, storage is always 128GB â€“ but if you need more, the dedicated spot for a microSD on the triple card tray makes expansion easy. This is a dual SIM phone with 4G connectivity, by the way, if you want 5G you should look at the X-series (or the Narzo phones).
There is exactly one reason to buy the realme 8 Pro â€“ the 108MP Samsung HM2 sensor. It has 0.7 Âµm pixels and supports 9-in-1 binning (final image resolution then is 12MP). Itâ€™s a large sensor too, 1/1.52â€, with an f/1.9 aperture, so it serves as a solid base for great low-light imaging.
The sensor also natively supports zoom up to 3x. Since only 12MP of the full sensor is used, the phone has enough processing power to snap eight frames and merge them into one final image. According to realme, the end result is better than a photo from a camera with a 3x lens (a claim weâ€™re sure to test).
The large sensor covers the hardware part, the updated Super Nightscape mode handles the software part. It has a sibling in the Ultra Nightscape Video mode and for patient star-gazers, Starry Mode is now available for videos too (the first such mode on a phone). If you have an hour, the phone can snap 240 frames (each 15 seconds apart) and string them into an 8 second video that shows the movement of the night sky.
The 8MP ultrawide camera has a lens with an f/2.25 aperture and 119Âº field of view. Finally, a 2MP macro cam and a 2MP B&W camera round up the quartet on the back. On the front is a 16MP selfie camera (IMX471, f/2.45).
Speaking of the front, the realme 8 Pro has a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED display. Itâ€™s not quite the same panel as on the 7 Pro, this one is brighter with a peak of 1,000 nits. Another upgrade is the 180Hz touch sampling rate, but that is of limited use when the display refreshes at 60Hz.
Battery and Charging
Moving on, the 4,500 mAh battery promises up 20 hours of uninterrupted YouTube videos or 8 hours of gaming. And the supplied 65W charger can refill half of it in 17 minutes, the other half takes 30 more minutes.
Note that the phone actually charges at 50W. The older realme 7 Pro did support 65W (and itâ€™s actually faster too â€“ its 4,500 mAh battery gets to 50% in 12 minutes and to 100% in 34 minutes).
Realme 8 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands:
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41 â€“ International
- 1, 3, 5, 8, 38, 40, 41 – Asia
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2021, March 24
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March 25
- Dimensions: 160.6 x 73.9 x 8.1 mm (6.32 x 2.91 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 176 g (6.21 oz)
- Build: Infinite Blue, Infinite Black, Punk Black, Illuminating Yellow
- Colors: Cyber Silver, Cyber Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED, 1000 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.4 inches, 98.9 cm2 (~83.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~411 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- Always-on display
- Android 11, Realme UI 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 108 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), 1/1.52″, 0.7Âµm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.3, 119Ëš, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12Âµm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/480fps, 720p@960fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.0″, 1.0Âµm
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent)
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 50W, 50% in 17 min, 100% in 47 min (advertised)
Realme 8 Pro Price and Availability
Realme 8 Pro will be available in Infinite Blue, Infinite Black, and Illuminating Yellow color variants. Hereâ€™s how much the Realme 8 Pro costs in India:
- 6GB + 128GB â€“ INR 17,999
- 8GB + 128GB â€“ INR 19,999