Redmi today in China, announced the K40 series which has three models â€“ the Redmi K40, the Redmi K40 Pro, and the Redmi K40 Pro+. The base model, the Redmi K40 comes as a flagship killer and a challenger to the Motorola Edge S. It packs an impressive display, a flagship processor, and a price tag that leaves you wondering if you really need to get a high-end flagship this year.
Redmi K40: The latest flagship killer With 120Hz AMOLED display, Snapdragon 870, 48MP triple rear cameras for just $310
The Redmi K40 has almost nothing related to its predecessor. It drops the pill-shaped right positioned punch hole for a centered one. It also switches the design on the rear to one that is similar to that of the Mi 11 and with fewer camera sensors than the Redmi K30. Redmi has also managed to make it thinner and lighter even though it packs a tiny bit bigger battery.
It performs better than the processors. The 60Hz IPS LCD display is gone and in its place is a 6.67-inch E4 AMOLED True Tone display with a 120Hz refresh rate and a 360Hz touch sampling rate. The display has a DCI-P3 color gamut, HDR10+, and a maximum brightness of 1300 nits. It also has MEMC and is covered in Gorilla Glass 5. For those concerned with the size of the hole, Redmi says it is 2.76 millimeters.
The Redmi K40 gets a huge performance boost. The Snapdragon 730G of the Redmi K30 has been replaced with a Snapdragon 870 processor and it features up to 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
There are fewer rear cameras on the phone this time around. It has a 48MP f/1.79 Sony IMX582 primary camera, a 5MP telephoto macro camera with a 50mm focal length, and an 8MP 119Â° ultrawide angle camera. The selfie camera is a 20MP sensor.
The Redmi K40 can record slow-motion videos at a maximum resolution of 1080p and at 960 frames per second. It can also record in 4K at 30fps. The camera app is packed full of features including a VLOG mode, Magic Clone, macro video recording, and lots of filters for both still photos and videos.
Other features of the phone are a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, NFC, Bluetooth 5.1, Wi-Fi 6, stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio, and Hi-Res Audio Wireless. There is a 4520mAh battery inside the phone with support for 33W fast charging. Redmi says it can fully charge in 52 minutes. The phone also has support for Quick Charge 3+ and Power Delivery 3.0.
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, February 25
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March
- Dimensions: 163.7 x 76.4 x 7.8 mm (6.44 x 3.01 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 196 g (6.91 oz)
- Colors: Black, White, Aurora
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~85.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 11, MIUI 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 6GB, 8GB, 12GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 119Ëš (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, 50mm (macro), 1/5.0″, 1.12Âµm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240/960fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 20 MP
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4520 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W, 100% in 52 min (advertised)
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 3+
Models: M2012K11AC, M2011K2C
Redmi K40 Price and Availability
The Redmi K40 is available in four configurations and below are their price tags:
- 6GB RAM + 128GB â€“ Â¥1999 (~$310)
- 8GB RAM + 128GB â€“ Â¥2199 (~$340)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB â€“ Â¥2499 (~$387)
- 12GB RAM + 256GB â€“ Â¥2699 (~$418) [Early bird price of Â¥2499 (~$387)]
The phone is available in three color variants â€“ , Bright Black, Dreamland, and Sunny Snow.