Today in China, the Redmi K40 lineup got unveiled. The lineup includes three phones including the Redmi K40, Redmi K40 Pro and Redmi K40 Pro Plus. The Pro and Pro Plus model shares a lot of similarities. They also have the top of the line chipset which is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888.
First of all, all the three phones share the E4 AMOLED display. With its A + certification, you will feel like you are reading from textbook. In a nutshell, this is a very fine display. The display comes with fancy features like 360Hz Touch Sampling rate, 120Hz refresh rate, True Tone colors and a very small notch. We also find these features on the vanilla K40.
Coming to the performance, this can be one of the biggest differences between the vanilla K40 and the Pro versions. The Pro and Pro Plus comes with Snapdragon 888 chipset. It is currently one of the best mobile chipsets. It is a 5nm-based chipset with 5G support as-well. Moreover, the phone also takes notice of small yet crucial details like LPDDR5 memory for better read & write speeds.
The Redmi K40 Pro and Pro Plus might be the new perfect multimedia phones in this budget. They offer dual speakers, infrared remote control, and more. And with WiFi 6 support, you can watch movies without the fear of buffering. There is a 4520mAH battery that can be fast charged at 33W.
Now you must be thinking what is the difference between the Redmi K40 Pro and the Redmi K40 Pro Plus? Well, one of the distinguishing features between the two is the camera.
Redmi K40 Pro
The Redmi K40 Pro gets a 64 MP sensor for its main camera with a 1/1.7” optical format. With 4-in-1 binning enabled, the effective pixel size is 1.6 µm – not bad, but if the camera is a priority, you should look at the Pro+. On the plus side, it can record 8K video at 30 fps, just like the Pro+ camera.
The Redmi K40 runs MIUI 12 based on Android 11 out of the box.
Xiaomi Redmi K40 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, February 25
- Status: Exp. release 2021, March
- Dimensions: 163.7 x 76.4 x 7.8 mm (6.44 x 3.01 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 196 g (6.91 oz)
- Colors: Black, White, Aurora
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~85.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 11, MIUI 12
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- RAM: 6GB, 8GB, 12GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 119˚ (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, 50mm (macro), 1/5.0″, 1.12µm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240/960fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10+
- Selfie Camera: Single – 20 MP
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4520 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W, 100% in 52 min (advertised)
- Power Delivery 3.0
- Quick Charge 3+
Redmi K40 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the Redmi K40 Pro starts at CNY 2,800 for the 6/128 GB model ($435/€355). Strangely, there’s no way to get a Pro with 12 GB of RAM, while there’s an option for that in the vanilla K40. You can pre-order one today, shipping starts on March 4.
- 6GB RAM + 128 GB – CNY 2,800 (~$433)
- 8GB RAM + 128 GB – CNY 3,000 (~$464)
- 8GB RAM + 256 GB – CNY 3,300 (~$511)
The phone is available in three color variants – Bright Black, Dreamland, and Sunny Snow.