Coolpad has introduced a new device to start with 2021 – the Coolpad Cool S. Following months of silence, the brand is back with a new smartphone launch in Nepal.The latest addition to the Coolpad family is a budget offering which features a dual-glass design with a 6.53-inch punch-hole display, 48MP primary camera and is powered by the Helio P60 chipset.
The Coolpad Cool S features a 6.53-inch panel with FHD+ resolution and a top-left aligned punch hole. The cutout serves as a house for a 25MP selfie snapper. Apparently, Coolpad decided to follow the trend for side-mounted fingerprint scanners that keep the back clean for the Quad-Camera setup. The phone has a Rectangular camera cutout, a design language that is very familiar.
The camera setup comprises a 48MP shooter, an 8MP ultrawide module, a 5MP macro, and an 0.3MP depth sensor. The latter resolution is quite low, so we don’t have big expectations for the depth sensing feature. In the bottom part, we can see the Coolpad logo. The phone’s overall dimensions are 161.2 x 76.2 x 8.9mm.
Under the hood, it is powered by a MediaTek Helio P60 Octa-Core. Before the Dimensity and Helio G series, the Helio P60 was one of the best offerings coming from the Taiwanese chipmaker. The chipset is made on a 12nm architecture and has four ARM Cortex-A73 cores operating at up to 2.0GHz and four Cortex-A53 operating at up to 2.0GHz.
The GPU is a Mali-G72 MP3 operating at up to 800MHz, it should provide enough performance for modern games with average settings. The phone is paired with 4GB RAM and 128GB of Internal Storage. Like with other devices in this category, the Coolpad Cool S comes with a MicroSD slot for further memory expansion.
The phone draws power from a rather large 5,000mAh battery that charges over a USB Type- port. On the software front, we have Android 10 OS. Unfortunately, we’re in January 2020 and several companies are still bringing devices with the 2019’s version of Google’s operating system.
Coolpad Cool S Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE
- Announced: 2021, January 08
- Status Available. Released 2021, January 08
- Dimensions: 161.2 x 76.2 x 8.9 mm (6.35 x 3.00 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 198 g
- Build: Glass front, glass back, plastic frame
- Colors: Moon White, Lapis Blue, Night Black
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD
- Size: 6.53 inches, 104.7 cm2 (~85.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Android 10
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6771 Helio P60 (12 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.0, 120˚ (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.0, (macro)
- 0.3 MP, (depth)
- Features: Dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 25 MP, f/2.0, (wide), 1/2.78″, 0.9µm
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11
- Bluetooth: Yes
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Charging 10W
Coolpad Cool S Price and Availability
The Coolpad Cool S comes in three distinct colorways – Black, Blue, and White. It retails at NPR 22,595, which is roughly $193. For that pricing point, there are better options in the market.