Honor has launched the Honor V40 5G smartphone in China. This is the company’s first handset after its independence from Huawei in November. The Honor V40 5G carries support for 5G connectivity as it features a powerful Dimensity chip.
The Honor V40 5G is built around a 6.72-inch screen with a dual punch-hole design. It is the first V-series phone from Honor to feature an OLED panel. The screen offers a Full HD+ resolution of 1236 x 2676 pixels resolution, a 10.7-bit color depth, a 120HZ refresh rate, a 300Hz touch sampling rate, and a DCI-P3 color gamut.
The display is integrated with a fingerprint sensor. It appears to be fitted with the same display which can be found on the Huawei Nova 8 Pro that went official in December. According to Honor, the V40 5G delivers a screen-to-body ratio of 92.3 percent. As far as the rear design is concerned, the Honor V40 5G has a glass back, which does not attract fingerprint marks. It weighs 186 grams and has a slim profile of 8.04mm only.
The phone is powered by the MediaTek Dimensity 1000+v 5G chipset, which brings support for 5G + 5G dual SIM connectivity. The phone features 8 GB of LPDDR4x RAM and UFS 2.1 storage of 128 GB / 256 GB. The smartphone runs on Magic UI 4.0 based Android 11 OS. It comes with support for GPU Turbo X graphic acceleration engine and Hunter Boost for a better gaming experience.
Speaking about its camera department, the rear camera module has a 50-megapixel main camera, an 8-megapixel ultrawide lens, a 2-megapixel macro lens, a laser autofocus unit, and an LED flash. The primary shooter has a 1/1.56-inch large sensor equipped with an RYYB filter array, which makes it possible to capture brighter shots in low-light conditions.
The rear cameras offer features like front/rear dual scene photography, AI RAW super portrait engine, handheld super night scene mode, 4K HDR timelapse photography, and 1920fps super slow-motion video shooting. The pill-shaped camera cutout on the screen has a 16-megapixel main camera and a ToF (Time-of-Flight) lens for depth estimation.
The Honor V40 5G has a 4,200mAh battery that carries support for 66W superfast wired charging. The device also supports 50W fast wireless charging. For an enhanced gaming experience, the V40 5G also features dual linear motors for in-game vibrations and stereo speakers.
Instead of Huawei’s AppGallery, the smartphone is expected to arrive with Google apps and services.
Honor V40 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, January 22
- Status: Exp. release 2021, February
- Dimensions: 163.07 x 74.26 x 8.04 mm
- Weight: 186 g
- Colors: Silver, Magic night black, Rose gold
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED, 1B colors, HDR10, 120Hz, 800 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.72 inches, 110.9 cm2
- Resolution: 1236 x 2676 pixels, 20:9 ratio
- Android 10 (Magic UI 4.0)
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6889Z Dimensity 1000+ (7nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (wide), 1/1.28″, 1.22µm, omnidirectional PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 17mm (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 16 MP, f/2.0 (main)
- AI Lens
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K, 1080p; gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W
- Fast wireless charging 50W
- Reverse charging 5W
Honor V40 5G Price and Availability
Here is the pricing and variants of the Honor V40 5G in China:
- 8 GB RAM + 128 GB storage – 3,599 Yuan (~$556)
- 8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage – 3,999 Yuan (~$618)
The Honor V40 5G is available in color editions such as Magic Night Black, Titanium Silver, and Rose Gold. The sales of the V40 5G have commenced in China. Recent reports have revealed that the phone could be debuting with Honor View 40 moniker in Q2 in international markets.