Back in April, Huawei launched the Huawei nova 7 SE smartphone as the base model of the nova 7 family. Today, the Chinese company unveiled the Huawei nova 8 SE through an offline launch in China.
The new phone has arrived in two chipset variants. While the predecessor model sported an LCD screen with a punch-hole design, the nova 8 SE features an OLED panel with a waterdrop notch. It comes equipped with 64-megapixel quad cameras and it ships with the same rapid charging that comes along with the Huawei Mate 40 models.
The Huawei nova 8 SE features a 20:9 aspect ratio supporting display of 6.53 inches. The OLED screen produces a Full HD+ resolution and it is integrated with a fingerprint reader. The phone features a front-facing camera of 16-megapixel. The backside of the device is fitted with a square-shaped camera module that features a 64-megapixel main camera with f/1.9 aperture, an 8-megapixel ultrawide lens with f/2.4 aperture, a 2-megapixel macro lens with f/2.4 aperture, and a 2-megapixel depth assist lens with f/2.4 aperture.
The Huawei nova 8 SE Standard Edition is powered by the Dimensity 720 chipset. It brings support for 5G + 4G dual SIM connectivity. On the other side, the Nova 8 SE High Edition is driven by the Dimensity 800U chip and it supports 5G + 5G dual SIM connectivity. Apart from differing chipsets, the Standard and High Editions of the Nova 8 SE carry the same specs.
The Nova 8 SE is preinstalled with Android 10 OS and EMUI 10.1 UI. The phone ships with 8 GB of LPDDR4x RAM and 128 GB of UFS 2.1 storage. There is a microSD card slot on the device for extra storage. The Nova 8 SE is backed by a 3,800mAh battery that supports 66W fast charging.
HUAWEI nova 8 SE Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 18, 19, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 28, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2020, November 06
- Status: Exp. release 2020, November 11
- Dimensions: 161.1 x 74.8 x 7.5 mm (6.34 x 2.94 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 178 g (6.28 oz)
- Colors: Black, Deep Blue, Blue, Silver
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: OLED, HDR10
- Size: 6.53 inches, 102.9 cm2 (~85.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- Android 10, EMUI 10.1, no Google Play Services
- MediaTek MT6853 Dimensity 720 5G (7 nm) – standard model
- MediaTek Dimensity 800U 5G (7 nm) – premium model
- Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) – standard model
- Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) – premium model
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC3
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 120Ëš, 17mm (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, Panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- NFC: No
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 3800 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 66W, 60% in 15 min, 100% in 35 min (advertised)
HUAWEI nova 8 SE Price and Availability
The nova 8 SE is already available in China with a price tag of;
- 2,599 Yuan (~$391) for the Dimensity 720 model.Â
- 2,699 Yuan (~$406) for the Dimensity 800U model.
The phone comes in colors like Magic Night Black, Dark Blue, Silver Moon Start, and Sakura Snow Clear Sky.