Google has finally unveiled its first smartphones in the 5G era. The Google Pixel 5 and Pixel 4A 5G are the brand’s first models to feature a 5G modem. Both phone are also among the first model to get Android 11.
Google Pixel 5
The Pixel 5 is the more premium device of the two even though it’s still classified as a mid-ranges. The device features a 6.0-inch display with an FHD+ resolution and 90Hz refresh rate.
The Pixel 5 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G chipset, one of the newest premium mid-range SoC released by the US chipmaker. The SD765G chipset is equipped with an X52 modem that enables 5G connectivity. Sub-6 is supported on all Pixel 5 versions, while in some countries it will also work on mmWave networks. Still talking of connectivity, the phone comes with support for Wi-Fi 802.11ac instead of Wi-Fi 6. The processor pairs with an 8GB RAM on the 5 while there is a sole 128GB storage option.
Per the camera section, the Pixel 5 packs a triple camera setup at the rear aspect. The three cameras are arranged in a square-shaped module located at the top-left corner of the panel. The main camera is a 12.2 MP sensor with 1.4um pixel size, as well as Google’s AI algorithms. This sensor doesn’t have particularly large pixels for night time shooting nor high resolution for lossless digital zoom, Google is hoping to deploy software optimization for those.
There is also a 16MP ultrawide-angle camera with f/2.2 aperture and 1.0um pixel size. There is also OIS and a relatively bright f/1.7 lens. The phone also supports 4K recording at 60 fps, the first Pixel phone with such capability.
The Pixel 5 packs a 4,080 mAh battery and has 18W fast charging support. The body is IP68-certified for dust and water resistance. The aluminium body is made out of recycled aluminium and is textured for better grip. The phone also comes with wireless charging support and reverse wireless charging despite the metal body. There is equally a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.
Google Pixel 5 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 / 1700 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 258, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2020, September 30
- Status: Exp. release 2020, October 15
- Dimensions: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8 mm (5.70 x 2.77 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 151 g (5.33 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Just Black, Sorta sage
- SIM: Nano-SIM and/or eSIM
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.0 inches, 87.6 cm2 (~85.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~432 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Always-on display
- 90Hz refresh rate
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 2 MP, f/1.7, 27mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS
- 16 MP, f/2.2, 107˚ (ultrawide), 1.0µm
- Features: LED flash, Auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- Features: Auto-HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4080 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
- Reverse charging
- Wireless charging
- USB Power Delivery 2.0
Google Pixel 5 Price and Availability
The Google Pixel 5 comes in Just Black and a new Sorta Sage colour option. Pre-orders for the phone has already started ahead of availability in eight countries on October 15. The phone will be available in the US on October 29. The Pixel 5 comes in at $700 (€630/£599).
Early pre-orders between now and October 14 qualify for a free pair of Bose QC 35 II wireless headphones. This offer is only valid in Germany, France, Ireland, and the UK, and only while stocks last.