The Sony Xperia 5 II has just been unveiled by the company. It is a new compact flagship from Sony and features top notch specs like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC and a high refresh rate OLED panel.
In case you don’t know, the new high end device is the spiritual successor to Sony’s Compact series. The Xperia 5 is launched as the compact version of the Xperia 1 2019 flagship, while the Xperia 5 II is the compact version of the Xperia 1 II, which was launched earlier this year. With smartphone sizes having become rather unwieldy and heavy for single handed use, the small form factor device will be a comfortable pick for many.
The Xperia 5 II is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G chipset paired with 8GB RAM and 128GB/256GB storage. The device has a 4,000mAh battery pack.
On the front, the smartphone features a 6.1 inch FHD+ OLED display panel, which supports a 120Hz high refresh rate. This display has an aspect ratio of 21:9 and offers HDR support with Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
The Xperia 5 II features a triple camera setup, comprising of a 12MP f/1.7 primary sensor, a 12MP f/2.2 ultra wide angle camera, and another 12MP f/2.4 telephoto lens. However, the specs of the selfie shooter are currently unknown. But, Sony has highlighted that the device will be capable of shooting 4K HDR videos at 120fps, which can also be played back at 5x slow motion at 24fps.
Sony Xperia 5 II Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2020, September 17
- Status: Exp. release 2020, Q4
- Dimensions: 158 x 68 x 8 mm (6.22 x 2.68 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 163 g (5.75 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame
- Colors: Black, Grey, Blue, Pink
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.1 inches, 86.9 cm2 (~80.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~449 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- HDR BT.2020
- Triluminos display
- X-Reality Engine
- 120Hz refresh rate
- Android 10
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 70mm (telephoto), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.55″, Dual Pixel PDAF
- Features: Zeiss optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR, eye tracking
- Video: [email protected]/30/60/120fps HDR, 1080p, 5-axis gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], 5-axis gyro-EIS
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Dynamic vibration system
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 21W, 50% in 30 min (advertised, with the incl. 18W charger)
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
Sony Xperia 5 II Price and Availability
The Sony Xperia 5 II will come in an unlocked Black color variant in the US, with variants compatible for Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cricket.
Pre orders for the device will start from September 29, 2020 with a price tag of 950 US Dollars, with shipping starting from December 4, 2020.
Those that order before November 29, 2020, will receive a gaming bundle comprising of a gaming headset, a 10,000mAh power bank, and 21,600 Call of Duty Mobile points.