Samsung has unveiled the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 as a perfect companion tablet for workers in the field. The tablet comes comes with a rugged case that allows it to survive drops from 1.5 meters (5 ft). Even without the case it should live through a fall on a flat surface from 1.2 m (4 ft). IP68 dust and water resistance ensure that it can work in rain or shine.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 is built around a 8.0-inch LCD which is designed to be operated with gloved hands. However, if your gloves are too thick, then the IP68-rated S Pen can be used to navigate the UI.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 is powered by the Exynos 9810 chipset (aka Galaxy S9/Note9â€™s chipset). Itâ€™s paired with 4GB of RAM and 64/128 GB storage, expandable with microSD cards.
Per camera department, thereâ€™s a 5 MP front-facing sensor for video calling as well as a 13 MP cam on the rear for general photography. Biometric authentication supports fingerprint sensor and face ID.
The slate has a 5,050 mAh battery that can be swapped out by the user on the go. Also, it can be charged in docks thanks to the pogo pins (or using regular USB when available).
The tablet has a â€œNo Batteryâ€ mode, which can be toggled from the settings. This allows it to be used as a stationary kiosk without degrading the battery. Third-party add-ons can be used to scan barcodes or add mPOS functionality. It runs Android 10 with DeX mode for a desktop like experience along with the security protections of Knox.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, September 28
- Status: Available. Released 2020, September 28
- Dimensions: 127.8 x 213.8 x 9.9 mm (5.03 x 8.42 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 426 g (Wi-Fi) / 429 g (LTE) (15.03 oz)
- Colors: Black
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810H compliant
- Type: PLS TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 8.0 inches, 185.6 cm2 (~67.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1200 x 1920 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~283 ppi density)
- Android 10
- Chipset: Exynos 9810 (10 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Mongoose M3 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP18
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB, 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Single – 13 MP, AF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 5 MP
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; magnetic connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Samsung DeX (desktop experience support)
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 5050 mAh, removable
Price and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 is available for purchase starting today in select countries in Europe and Asia, availability in other regions will be announced later.
Thereâ€™s a Wi-Fi only version (with Wi-Fi 6 connectivity) as well as an LTE model.