The endless stream of leaks has finally been put to an end as the much-hyped Samsung Galaxy S20 FE (Fan Edition) flagship smartphone goes official. It is the latest addition to the Galaxy S20 lineup and launches as a successor to the Galaxy S10 Lite from earlier this year. Galaxy S20 FE features a 120Hz display, a massive battery, wireless charging, flagship Snapdragon chipset, and more.
Design: Speaking of its design, the Galaxy S20 FE borrows more part of the Galaxy Note20 series than the S20 lineup launched earlier this year. The front panel is pretty similar to what we have on the standard Note20. It includes a 6.5-inch Full-HD+ Dynamic AMOLED display that’s flat and not curved at the edges like its elder siblings.
Display: The highlight of the display, like other S20 series phones, will have to be the 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch response rate. The panel also supports a 20:9 aspect ratio and 2400 x 1080-pixel resolution. You will find an optical in-display fingerprint sensor at the bottom and a centered punch-hole with a 32MP selfie camera at the top.
Hardware Performance: The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE is powered by the flagship Snapdragon 865 SoC that’s also found aboard its elder siblings.
The Galaxy S20 FE has 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB storage as standard (but there’s a 256 GB option). Note that the 5G version supports sub-6 networks (both Sa and NSA), the US is also getting a Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW with mmWave.
The S20 FE is no slouch as the LTE Cat. 20 modem can deliver download speeds of up to 2.0 Gbps. Also, both versions support Wi-Fi 6, wireless screen mirroring (1080p @ 30 fps0 and DisplayPort (4K at 60 fps).
Software: The smartphone runs OneUI 2.0 based on Android 10 out-of-the-box. It also carries an IP68 rating for water and dust protection.
Camera: The rear panel resembles the standard Galaxy S20 but the sensors are accented just like this year’s Note series. As for its configuration, you will find a 12MP primary camera, 12MP ultra-wide lens with a 123-degree FOV, and an 8MP telephoto camera with 3x optical zoom and 30x Space Zoom capability. This is the same camera system as the Galaxy S20 from earlier this year.
Others: Galaxy S20 FE comes equipped with a 4,500mAh battery pack with 25W fast wired charging via the USB Type-C port at the bottom. The device supports 15W fast wireless charging and reverse wireless charging, which means you can charge your Galaxy Watch using S20 FE.
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA (for 5G variant)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2020, September 23
- Status: Exp. release 2020, October 02
- Dimensions: 159.8 x 74.5 x 8.4 mm (6.29 x 2.93 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 190 g (6.70 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Cloud Lavender, Cloud Mint, Cloud Navy, Cloud White, Cloud Red, Cloud Orange
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.5 inches, 102.0 cm2 (~85.7% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~405 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Always-on display
- 120Hz refresh rate
- Android 10, One UI 2.5
- Exynos 990 (7 nm+) – 4G variant
- Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+) – 5G Variant
- Octa-core (2×2.73 GHz Mongoose M5 & 2×2.50 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) – 4G Variant
- Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585) – 5G Variant
- Mali-G77 MP11 – 4G variant
- Adreno 650 – 5G Variant
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.0, 73mm (telephoto), 1/4.5″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 123˚, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/3.0″, 1.12µm
- Features: LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: 8K, 4K, 1080p, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide), 1/2.74″, 0.8µm, AF
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K, 1080p
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 4.5W
Models: SM-G780F (4G Variant), SM-G781B (5G Variant)
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE Price and Availability
Starting today you can start pre-order one on Samsung.com. Sales start on October 2, then the phone will also be available through carriers and retailers.
The price in the US is set at $700 – that’s $300 less than the 5G version of the vanilla Galaxy S20. Speaking of 5G, the FE also comes in LTE and 5G varieties. Note that you can also get up to $450 credit with a trade in.
|Galaxy S20 FE (128 GB)||€633||£600|
|Galaxy S20 FE (256 GB)||€719|
|Galaxy S20 FE 5G (128 GB)||€730||£700||$700|
|Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW||$750|
The Galaxy S20 Fan Edition will come in six color variants, namely Cloud White, Cloud Red, Cloud Orange, Cloud Mint, Cloud Lavender, and last but not least, Cloud Navy. The device has the same Haze finish as the S20+ BTS Edition and it looks pretty cool.