Chinese manufacturer Huawei has announced the Huawei MatePad Pro 5G with 5G support in China. It is fairly similar to the 10.4 model, however it upgrades to the Kirin 820 chipset.
The chipset brings with it a 5G modem along with Wi-Fi 6. Compared to the Kirin 810 of the other tablet it has double the Cortex-A76 cores (four in total) and a more powerful Mali-G57 MP6 GPU (up to 30% faster than the G52 MP6). Also, there’s only one memory configuration for this slate, 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB storage (expandable via a microSD card).
Just like the old version, the MatePad 5G has the same 10.4-chip IPS LCD panel with 2,000 x 1,200 px resolution. Next to it is the same 8 MP front-facing camera, on the opposite sides is another 8 MP cam. There are four speakers mounted around the perimeter along with four microphones.
The battery capacity remains the same, 7,250 mAh, but charging speed has been increased slightly to 22.5 W (up from 18 W). 30 minutes gets the battery up to 30%, going to 100% takes 2.5 hours.
Charging is done over the USB-C port, which now has to serve double duty as the wired headphones port – the 3.5 mm jack has been dropped (at least you get a Type-C to 3.5 mm adapter in the box).
This tablet is compatible with a couple of key accessories – a hardware keyboard cover and the M-Pencil stylus. Since the slate runs EMUI 10.1 (based on Android 10, no GMS), it supports Huawei’s desktop experience, which can turn it into a compact laptop replacement.
Huawei MatePad Pro 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 28, 38, 41, 77, 78, 79
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, September 16
- Status: Exp. release 2020, September
- Dimensions: 245.2 x 155 x 7.5 mm (9.65 x 6.10 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 460 g (1.01 lb)
- Build: Glass front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: White, Dark Blue
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Stylus support
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 10.4 inches, 307.9 cm2 (~81.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1200 x 2000 pixels, 5:3 ratio (~224 ppi density)
- Android 10, EMUI 10.1, no Google Play Services
- Chipset: Kirin 820 5G (7nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 3×2.22 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.84 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 (6-core)
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC
- Main Camera: Single – 8 MP, AF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- Tuned by Harman Kardon
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 7250 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 22.5W
Huawei MatePad Pro 5G Price and Availability
The Huawei MatePad 5G is already available for pre-ordered from Vmall.com at a price of CNY 3,200 in White and Gray.
For comparison, the MatePad 10.4 with LTE and the same 6/128 GB memory configuration goes for CNY 2,500. There’s no word on if and when this tablet will be available globally.