At an event recently held, Apple unveiled a series of devices and among were two new iPad models, the new iPad Air (2020) and iPad 8 2020.
Both devices feature improved hardware, with the iPad Air and iPad 8 being powered by Apple’s A14 and A12 Bionic chipsets, respectively.
Apple iPad Air (2020)
The new iPad Air comes with a fresh design, which is clearly inspired by the iPad Pro line. The screen bezels are smaller, the port is USB-C and not Lightning anymore (and you get a 20W charger in the box).
The tablet has the same footprint as its predecessor, but because of the smaller bezels it now has a 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display with 2360 x 1640 resolution. TouchID is integrated into the new, top-mounted power button.
The new iPad Air is powered by Apple’s new A14 Bionic chipset, which is also expected to be present in the upcoming iPhone 12 family when it launches later this year. The A14 is built on a 5nm process, and it’s the first in the industry to reach that milestone.
It has a 6-core CPU design with two high performance cores and four high efficiency cores. Performance is improved by 40% compared to the previous iPad Air. The GPU is 30% faster.
On the rear there’s the same camera as on the iPad Pro models, a 12MP shooter with f/1.8 aperture, support for 4K video recording at 60fps, 240fps slow-mo, and improved video stabilization. For selfies you get a 7MP camera with f/2.0 aperture and 1080p video at 60fps.
The tablet has Wi-Fi 6 on board, dual speakers, and support for Apple Pencil, which attaches magnetically to the side for pairing, charging, and storage. Apple will also offer a floating keyboard case for it. The new iPad Air runs iPadOS 14.
Apple iPad Air (2020) Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2324
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2072
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA)
- Announced: 2020, September 15
- Status: Exp. release 2020, October
- Dimensions: 247.6 x 178.5 x 6.1 mm (9.75 x 7.03 x 0.24 in)
- Weight: 458 g (Wi-Fi) / 460 g (3G/LTE) (1.01 lb)
- Build: Glass front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Space Gray, Silver, Rose Gold, Green, Sky Blue
- SIM: Nano-SIM, eSIM
- Stylus support
- Type: Liquid Retina IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 10.9 inches, 359.2 cm2 (~81.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1640 x 2360 pixels (~264 ppi density)
- Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Wide color gamut
- 500 nits typ. brightness (advertised)
- iPadOS 14
- Chipset: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- CPU: Hexa-core
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Internal Storage: 64GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Single – 12 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/3″, 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF
- Features: HDR
- Video: 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 7 MP, f/2.0, 31mm (standard)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30/60fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, EDR
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS (LTE model only)
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; magnetic connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (top-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, compass, barometer
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po, non-removable (28.6 Wh)
Models A2324, A2072
- Wi-Fi + Cellular & GPS: A2324, A2072
- Wi-Fi only, w/o GPS: Unspecified
Price and Availability
It will be available next month in silver, space gray, rose gold, green, and sky blue starting at
- $599 (Wi-Fi-only) or $729 (Wi-Fi + Cellular) for 64GB version
- $749 (Wi-Fi-only) or $879 (Wi-Fi + Cellular) for 256GB version