Sony’s home country of Japan is welcoming a new smartphone called Sony Xperia 8 Lite. The phone comes with the exact same body and key specs as the Xperia 10 that was launched in February 2019, but with the main difference being the main camera setup.
The Xperia 8 Lite is powered by the three year old Snapdragon 630 chipset, paired with a 4GB and internal storage of 64GB. The screen remains a 6-inches LCD panel with Full HD+ resolution and ultra-tall 21:9 ratio.
Speaking about the camera which is the only difference but with same dual camera at the back. Sony has implemented a 12 MP f/1.8 main shooter + 8 MP f/2.4 secondary snapper. For comparison, the Xperia 10 had a 13 MP f/2.0 + 5 MP f/2.4 depth sensor.
Now, Sony is yet to reveal what is the main purpose of the secondary cam. The promo materials say the Xperia 8 Lite will take brilliant photos that highlight the subject, meaning the 8 MP cam could be a sophisticated depth sensor. The company also claims the phone has 2x optical zoom, but we’ll give this translation the benefit of doubt.
The front-facing camera, tucked in the fat top bezel is 8 MP f/2.0, and the device also comes with a 3.5 mm audio jack on top and a USB-C port on the bottom for charging the 2,870 mAh battery. Sony does not say anything about the OS, but thanks to the official listing we spotted the Xperia 8 Lite will ship with Android Pie – yes, the almost two-year-old OS version.
Xperia 8 Lite Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 26, 38, 41
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat12 479/50 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, August 26
- Status: Exp. Released 2020, September 1
- Dimensions: 158.0 x 69.0 x 8.1 mm
- Weight: 170 g
- Colors: Black, White
- SIM: Single SIM
- IPX5/IPX8 Rating
- IP6X Rating
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.0 inches
- Resolution: 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~457 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM630 Snapdragon 630 (14 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: Adreno 508
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 12 MP (main f/1.8)
- 8 MP (telephoto 2x f/2.4)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Li-Ion 2870 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
- Quick Charge 3.0
- USB Power Delivery
Xperia 8 Lite Price and Availability
The phone carries a retail price of JPY29,800 (about $280/€235). It comes with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB of storage, two color options (White and Black), and some cashback options from the Sony-owned MVNO Nuro Mobile.
Pre-order is now open, and shipments are scheduled for Tuesday, September 1.