Alongside the Galaxy Note20 series, Samsung has also announced the successor to its first-ever foldable phone – Galaxy Fold. Though the company did a minor name change, the core design does remain the same. It opted for the Galaxy Z Flip branding, and it called this model the Galaxy Z Fold2. The much-needed changes includes bigger bezel-less displays, fewer intrusions, and improved durability.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2: Specs and Features
Design and Displays
While Samsung has unveiled a clamshell foldable phone earlier this year, the Korean giant did not drop its original tablet-style foldable phone design. The second-gen Galaxy Fold boasts the exact same core design as its predecessor, which sees a phone unfold into a tablet. Samsung would have made improvements to the hinge design as well, adding brushes and caps into the mix to prevent tiny debris from entering the complex gear mechanism.
The most-requested change – bigger bezel-less displays will have to be the highlight and discerning factor of the Galaxy Z Fold2. The first-gen Galaxy Fold arrived with a smaller outer display that had massive bezels whereas the display on the inside had a massive lip to house the selfie cameras and sensors at the top right.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 has a 7.6-inch QXGA+ flexible AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, which is amazing. The panel boasts a 2213 x 1689-pixels resolution and a punch-hole cutout at the top right instead of a weird lip, which is great.
It’s the exterior display, however, that gives the Galaxy Z Fold2 a completely new and futuristic vibe. It now stretches from edge to edge and measures in at 6.2-inches. The company has baked a Full-HD+ (2400 x 1080-pixel) Super AMOLED display, also with a punch-hole selfie camera, on the outside.
The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is powered by the flagship Snapdragon 865+ chipset – the same as the Galaxy Note20 lineup and Galaxy Z Flip 5G that debuted merely a couple of weeks ago. You will find the Snapdragon X55 modem onboard to provide 5G connectivity and download speeds up to 2.0Gbps.
The chipset is paired with 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM and up to 512GB of UFS 3.1 built-in storage. This foldable phone runs OneUI 2.1 based on Android 10.
As you can see in the title, Galaxy Z Fold2 arrives with five cameras in tow. It has one camera less than its predecessor. You still have a triple camera system on the rear, one punch-hole selfie camera on the inside, and one on the outside – also in a punch-hole cutout.
Both the punch-hole cutouts house a 10MP (f/2.2) selfie camera, so that you can take pictures of yourself whether the Galaxy Z Fold2 is unfolded or not. The triple camera system on the rear includes the same camera system as the vanilla Galaxy Note 20 or Galaxy S20. This means you have a 12MP primary camera with OIS, 12MP ultra-wide camera, and a 64MP telephoto camera with 3x hybrid zoom present on the rear.
Battery and Charging
Galaxy Z Fold2 comes equipped with a dual-cell 4,500Ah battery — 2,250mAh packs on either side of the hinge. The device supports 25W fast-charging via the USB Type-C port at the bottom. It isn’t the fastest charging solution out there but would get the job done.
This foldable phone also supports 15W wireless charging and 9W wireless power share (i.e Samsung’s version of reverse wireless charging) that allows you to charge any other phone, Galaxy Buds Live, and smartwatches among other things.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G
- Announced: 2020, August 05
- Status: Exp. release 2020, September
- Dimensions: Unfolded: 159.2 x 128.2 x 6.9 mm
- Folded: 159.2 x 68 x 16.8 mm
- Weight: 279 g (9.84 oz)
- Build: Glass front (folded), plastic front (unfolded), glass back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Type: Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 7.6 inches, 181.8 cm2 (~89.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1768 x 2208 pixels (~372 ppi density)
- 120Hz refresh rate
- Cover display: 6.23-inch, Super AMOLED, 816 x 2260 pixels (25:9)
- Android 10, One UI 2.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.09 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 12GB
- Internal Storage: 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6″, 1.0µm, AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/240fps (gyro-EIS), [email protected] (gyro-EIS), HDR10
- Selfie Camera: Single – 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3″, 1.22µm
- Cover camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3″, 1.22µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Samsung DeX (desktop experience support)
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
- Fast wireless charging 11W
- Reverse wireless charging 9W
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 Price and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 will be available for pre-order on September 1. More details on pricing and availability are yet to be announced however that would be updated as soon as we have it.
Samsung will sell the device in two color versions – Mystic Black and Mystic Bronze – and Thom Browne is preparing a fashion-focused limited edition.