The tech world is forever ready to step up its products, always obsessed with short upgrade cycles. The race for the ultimate specâ€™d devices is always on as well as looking for a way to reduce the much preached e-waste, material sourcing and working conditions for the people who assemble the devices.
Fairphone has positioned itself as the ethical smartphone choice and today itâ€™s announcing its latest entry – the Fairphone 3+. In most aspects its similar to its predecessor though the big upgrade this time is in the camera department with a 48MP main shooter and 16MP selfie cam.
The current Fairphone 3 users can also upgrade their phones to the new 48MP Camera+ and 16MP selfie sensors with the maker’s policy to reduce e-waste also allowing you to replace other essential parts like the display and battery in a bid to help you keep your phone longer.
You will notice the new model doesnâ€™t boast the transparent back of the previous-gen Fairphone though it has retained the â€œmodular designâ€ which allows for hassle-free repairs. Fairphone provides you with a small screwdriver in the box which is enough to help you swap out most parts should you need to. The Fairphone 3+ is also made with 40% recycled plastics and ethically sourced materials.
Getting to the internals, weâ€™re in midrange territory. The device is built around a 5.7-inch FHD+ LCD with an 18:9 aspect ratio and Gorilla Glass 5 protection. Under the hood, we have the Snapdragon 632 paired with 4GB RAM and 64GB of expandable storage.
The phone boots Android 10 and comes with a 3,000 mAh battery with Qualcomm QuickCharge support. Thereâ€™s also a dual nano-SIM slot, rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, headphone jack and NFC.
Fairphone 3+ Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 20, 26
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat6 300/150 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, August 27
- Status: Exp. release 2020, September 14
- Dimensions: 158 x 71.8 x 9.9 mm (6.22 x 2.83 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 189 g (6.67 oz)
- Colors: Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.65 inches, 82.4 cm2 (~72.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~427 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 10
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM632 Snapdragon 632 (14 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 506
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Single – 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF
- Features: Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide), 1/3.1″
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS; Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Ion 3040 mAh, removable
Fairphone 3+ Price and Availability
The Fairphone 3+ is will go for â‚¬469 with pre-sales already live on the companyâ€™s website. Official sales will kick off on September 14 with wider availability.