OPPO launched the Reno4 series in China last month and now, the Pro version is making its way to the global markets. The company has officially launched the Reno4 Pro in India today via a special AR event. The global variant is just a few changes away from the Chinese version. However, the Indian variant retains the two major highlights of the Chinese variant – 90Hz Super AMOLED display and 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 fast charging.
OPPO Reno4 Pro (Global and Indian Variant)
Both the global and the Indian version were denied of 5G supports, but that makes them extremely lightweight with the global version being the lightest of the trio. The OPPO Reno4 Pro is one of the lightest smartphones launched in 2020, weighing just over 160 grams.
The Reno4 Pro Indian variant comes with a single punch hole camera on top of its 3D curved display. There are four cameras at the back (one sensor more than the Chinese Reno4 Pro). The phone comes in two colors at launch, Starry Night and Silky White. The Chinese variant also had some fancy gradient colors in Red and Blue finishes. There was a special Pantone Green Glitter variant too.
The OPPO Reno4 Pro in India comes with a 6.5-inch FHD+ E3 Super AMOLED display. E3 here refers to a kind of material that produces the lights on the screen. As compared to earlier generations of E1 and E2, E3 screens are brighter, more power-efficient, and produce less blue light. They support a peak brightness of 800 nits, with a 7% improvement in power efficiency. It can also block 42% more blue light.
The 6.5-inch display features 3D curved glass on top (officially marketed as the 3D Borderless Sense Screen) with a screen curvature of 55.9 degrees. The panel supports 90Hz refresh rate and up to 180Hz touch sampling rate. The screen should do pretty well under direct sunlight too as it brightens to as much as 800 nits, with a peak partial brightness as high as 1100 nits.
The display gets TÜV Rhineland Full Care Display Certification and OPPO confirms that the phone is certified for Widevine L1, so streaming HD videos on Netflix or Amazon Prime shouldn’t be a worry.
Hardware and Software
Under the hood, the OPPO Reno4 Pro Indian variant comes with Snapdragon 720G compared to the Chinese variant features Snapdragon 765G. You also get 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage onboard.
The phone comes with an in-display fingerprint sensor and runs on Color 7.2 based on Android 10.
The camera setup on the new OPPO model in India is a bit different than the one on the Chinese model.
The phone’s camera setup is as follows:
- 48MP Main Camera, IMX586, 1/2″, F/1.7
- 8MP Ultra-Wide Angle Camera, 1/4″, F/2.2
- 2MP Macro Camera, 1/5″, F/2.4
- 2MP Mono Camera, 1/5″, F/2.4
So you get four cameras in total with a Macro and a Mono camera. Unfortunately, there’s no telephoto shooter that was found on the Chinese variant.
Up front, you get a 32MP selfie camera inside a single punch hole on the top left corner.
Battery and Charging
Charging is one of the biggest highlights of the new OPPO model. The phone comes with the super-fast 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 that charges its 4000mAh battery to 100% in just 36 minutes.
Despite the announcement of OPPO’s 125W flash charging technology, we don’t have a commercial phone using the technology yet. So SuperVOOC 2.0 is still one of the fastest charging technologies available in the market right now.
Oppo Reno4 Pro (Global Version) Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands:
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – International
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 – Asia Pacific, China
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41 – International
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41 – China
- 1, 3, 5, 8, 38, 40, 41 – Asia Pacific
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, July 31
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, August 05
- Dimensions: 160.2 x 73.2 x 7.7 mm (6.31 x 2.88 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 161 g (5.68 oz)
- Build: Glass front, plastic back, plastic frame
- Colors: Starry Night, Silky White
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.5 inches, 103.5 cm2 (~88.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~402 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 90Hz refresh rate
- 500 nits typ. value (advertised)
- Android 10, ColorOS 7.2
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 119˚ (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]/120fps, gyro-EIS
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS, GNSS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent)
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 65W, 60% in 15 min, 100% in 36 min (advertised)
- SuperVOOC 2.0
Oppo Reno4 Pro (Global Version) Price and Availability
The global Oppo Reno4 Pro will come in two colors – Starry Night and Silky White – both with a matte finish that wards off fingerprints and reduces glare.
The Reno4 Pro’s 8GB/128GB version will be up for sale in India on August 5 for INR 34,990 (€390/$465).
Amazon and Flipkart will carry it and the first 1,000 customers are getting a gift box that wasn’t detailed. Availability and pricing for other markets will be revealed later on.