Asus has taken off the wraps off its next-generation gaming beast. The company has unveiled the Asus ROG Phone 3 globally at a virtual launch event. ROG Phone 3 continues with the legacy of its popular and insane value-for-money predecessor. Just like the Lenovo Legion Phone Duel, It is powered by Snapdragon 865+ phone to launch with a 144Hz display, 64MP triple camera array, and a huge 6,000mAh battery as well.
Asus ROG Phone 3 Specs and Features
Design and Display
On the front, the Asus ROG Phone 3 is built around a large 6.59-inch Full-HD+ AMOLED display with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 144HZ/1ms refresh rate and a 270Hz touch response rate. This is step up from the 120Hz refresh rate/240Hz touch response rate of the ROG Phone 2.
The device is powered by the Snapdragon 865+ chipset that was recently announced by Qualcomm. This is one of the first phones to be backed by this slightly overclocked flagship chipset. You will also find up to 12GB LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB UFS 3.1 storage onboard.
The hardware cannot be discussed without talking about the thermals of this gaming phone. ROG Phone 3 arrives with the 3rd-gen GameCool system in tow. It sports a 6x larger heatsink, redesigned Copper 3D vapor chamber, and a larger graphite film, as per the official press release. Asus states that its thermal system will help keep the temperature in check, offering a stable gaming experience.
The dual-camera setup on the ROG Phone 2 gets an upgrade in line with the times. Users now have a triple camera array aboard the ROG Phone 3, which is helmed by a 64MP (f/1.8) Sony IMX686 sensor. There’s a 13MP (f/2.5) ultra-wide camera with a 125-degree FOV and a 5MP macro camera onboard as well. It supports up to 8K video, 4K slow-mo video recording, and a Pro mode.
We expect the cameras aboard the ROG Phone 3 to be pretty decent even though it’s a more gaming-focused phone. Let’s not forget the 24MP selfie camera baked in the top notch.
Another key highlight for the ROG Phone 3, well, is the massive 6,000mAh battery. It was the main attraction for its predecessor and was loved by users, thus, it is here to stay. The phone also supports up to 30W fast-charging, which Asus boasts can juice up 75 percent (around 4,510mAh) battery in just 46 minutes.
One of the very desired thing that games want is a 3.5mm audio jack but it, missing in action. Asus is bundling the AeroActive Cooler 3 with ROG Phone 3 to not only bring back the 3.5mm jack but also further lower the temperature by 4-degree Celcius.
Also, Asus continues to offer additional ports on the edge of the ROG Phone 3. It includes a side-mounted USB Type-C port, as usual, to connect accessories and the charging cable when you use the phone in landscape mode.
Asus ROG Phone 3 Full Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands:
- HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 – A version
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – B version
- 4G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48, 66, 71 – A version
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41 – B version
- 5G bands:
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – A version
- 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – B version
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (6CA) Cat20 2000/150 Mbps, 5G 4.4 Gbps DL
- Announced: 2020, July 22
- Status: Exp. release 2020, August
- Dimensions: 171 x 78 x 9.9 mm (6.73 x 3.07 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 240 g (8.47 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), glass back (Gorilla Glass), aluminum frame
- Colors: Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- RGB light panel (on the back)
- Pressure sensitive zones (Gaming triggers)
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 1B colors
- Size: 6.59 inches, 106.6 cm2 (~79.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~391 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- 144Hz refresh rate
- 650 nits max. brightness (advertised)
- Android 10, ROG UI
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.1 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 16GB RAM
- Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 13 MP, f/2.4, 125˚, 11mm (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.0, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 24 MP, f/2.0, 27mm (wide), 0.9µm
- Features: Panorama, HDR
- Video: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with DTS:X stereo speakers (2 dedicated amplifiers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, GNSS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Two (side 3.1, bottom 2.0) Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; accessory connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 6000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 30W
- Quick Charge: 4.0, 3.0
- Reverse charging: 10W
Asus ROG Phone 3 Price and Availability
The Asus ROG Phone 3 comes in two configurations:
- 8GB + 128GB variant cost $670
- 12GB + 256GB variant cost $777
The smartphone is available for purchase in a single black color variant and go on sale starting from August 16, exclusively on Flipkart.