The Samsung Galaxy A71 5G UW for Verizon has been launched. UW stands for Ultra Wideband, which is what the carrier calls its mmWave network. Currently, in the US, there’s coverage in 35 cities. for more details, check out the coverage map. mmWave can hit speeds over 1 gigabit per second, but is limited to only the densest urban areas as the signal can’t travel very far.
The Galaxy A71 5G UW will also be able to connect to Verizon’s low-band 5G network – this won’t be much faster than current 4G networks, but has significantly wider coverage than mmWave (the carrier is aiming for nation-wide coverage). The low-band 5G network will be activated later this year.
There’s not much more to say – there’s no official confirmation that the phone switched to the Snapdragon 765G, but it most likely did as the Exynos 980 used in the regular Galaxy A71 5G does not support mmWave.
The memory capacity is 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB storage, plus up to 1 TB more in the form of a microSD card. For comparison, the vanilla A71 5G starts at 6/128 GB and has an MSRP of $600 (but you can grab one from Samsung.com for $430 right now).
The rest is unchanged, including 6.7-inch Super AMOLED screen, the 4,500 mAh battery with 25 W charging and the cameras. There’s four of them on the back, starting with the 64 MP main cam, 12 MP ultra wide one, a 5 MP macro camera and a 5 MP depth sensor. The selfie camera on the front has a 32 MP sensor.
Samsung Galaxy A71 5G UW Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: 2, 5, 66, 260, 261 SA/NSA/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A; 5G
- Announced: 2020, July 07
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, July 16
- Dimensions: 162.5 x 75.5 x 8.1 mm (6.40 x 2.97 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: g
- Colors: Prism Cube Black, Prism Cube Sliver, Prism Cube Blue
- SIM: Pre-installed Nano-SIM
- Type: Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.7 inches, 108.4 cm2 (~88.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- 5 MP, f/2.2, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/240fps, 1080p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
Samsung Galaxy A71 5G UW Price and Availability
The phone is available for pre-order at a promo price of $15 a month, starting from today for 24 months on an Unlimited plan. This works out to $360 while its regular retail price is $650. This means that after the promo period is over, the handset will go up to $27.09 a month, which makes the whole $650.
Starting on July 16 you will be able to pick up the phone from any Verizon location. The carrier dubbed this “the most affordable 5G Ultra Wideband smartphone”, by the way. You can get up to $250 in credit towards the new phone by trading in an old handset (and you’ll need to sign up for a Premium Unlimited plan).