Korean operator SK Telecom and Samsung Electronics have launched the worldâ€™s first smartphone with a quantum solution to increase security â€“ meet the Samsung Galaxy A Quantum.
The Galaxy A Quantum is equipped with a Quantum Random Number Generator (QRNG) developed by Swiss ID Quantique. According to manufacturers, the QRNG chip generates random numbers based on quantum encryption technology, which allows the user to create reliable, unpredictable keys. Moreover, all this should increase the security of mobile communication.
The operator explained that Galaxy A Quantum users will be able to use â€œquantum encryptionâ€ in services that require identification and certification, including mobile payments.
The phone is powered by the Exynos 980 SoC, paired with 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of internal flash memory alongside a battery capacity of 4500 mAh.
The Galaxy A Quantum smartphone is just a rebranded Galaxy A71 5G model. It is built around a 6.7-inch Super AMOLED screen with Full HD+ resolution with an embedded 32 MP single camera. It also has a fingerprint scanner integrated under the screen
The Galaxy A Quantum boots Android 10-based One UI and has quad camera setup at the back, comprising of a 64MP primary camera, 12MP ultrawide, 5MP macro and 5MP depth sensor units. The smartphone runs One UI 2.0 based on Android 10.
Samsung Galaxy A Quantum Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A; 5G
- Announced: 2020, May 14
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, May 22
- Dimensions: 162.5 x 75.5 x 8.1 mm (6.40 x 2.97 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 185 g (6.53 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic back, plastic frame
- Colors: Prism Cube Black, Prism Cube Sliver, Prism Cube Blue
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Type: Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.7 inches, 108.4 cm2 (~88.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Android 10, One UI 2
- Chipset: Exynos 980 (8 nm), QRNG security chipset
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A77 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP5
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
- 5 MP, f/2.4, 25mm (macro), 1/5.0″, 1.12Âµm
- 5 MP, f/2.2, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/240fps, 1080p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8Âµm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
Models: SM-A716N, SM-A716SS
Samsung Galaxy A Quantum Price and Availability
The phone comes in three color variants – Black, Silver, and Blue and will cost you about KRW649,000 ($530/â‚¬490) to get it (8GB/128GB configuration). It will be up for pre-booking in South Korea as from May 15, with sales commencing on May 22.
Those who pre-order the Galaxy A Quantum will be offered a pair of Galaxy Buds for free, and those who buy it after the pre-booking period will be offered a discount coupon worth KRW50,000 ($40/â‚¬38) to purchase the Galaxy Buds.