The Meizu 17 and 17 Pro is finally official today, at a new product launch conference. These are the companyâ€™s first 5G flagships. Spec-wise the two are nearly identical with the Pro featuring better auxiliary cameras, wireless charging and faster RAM.
The Meizu 17 series uses the customized Samsung Super AMOLED screen. It has a number of amazing parameters, such as an E3 luminescent material, a 2340Ã—1080 resolution, a 390ppi pixel density, a DCI-P3 100% color gamut support, a global peak brightness of 700nit, a local peak brightness of 1100nit, and HDR certification support.
In addition, the Meizu 17 also supports a high refresh rate of 90Hz as well as a new generation of DC flash-less dimming. The phone also comes with a blue light filtering. Thus, the harmful blue light is reduced by 37.5%.
In terms of fingerprint recognition, Meizu 17â€™s screen also integrates Super mTouch fingerprint recognition under the screen. The unlocking speed is only 0.15s.
Hardware and Performance
In terms of hardware, the Meizu 17 comes with a Snapdragon 865 5G platform, an 8GB memory, and a 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 flash storage.
The Meizu 17 supports the mSmart 5G technology developed by Meizu itself. The company has redesigned a full set of antenna systems, bringing a fast, economical, and stable 5G experience. So it solves many of the current pain points of 5G networks.
The phone sports a 20-megapixel front-facing camera, which also supports screen fill-in technology. Also, it provides multiple modes of play such as portrait mode, male beauty, backlight HDR, backlight mode, and super night scene selfie.
The rear camera has a 64MP full-scene imaging system developed by Meizu. The horizontal five-ring arrangement and ring flash design are unique. The main camera uses the Sony IMX686 sensor. As said, it has a 64MP resolution, a 26mm wide viewing angle, and an f/1.8 aperture.
There is also a 12MP depth-of-field lens, a 5MP professional macro lens, and an 8MP 118Â° ultra-wide-angle lens with an equivalent focal length of 16mm. By the way, this is one of the excellent ultra-wide-angle lenses in the industry.
In terms of endurance, the Meizu 17 features a large 4500mAh battery and supports 30W Super mCharge super-fast charging technology. Say, it can charge 56% in half an hour. The typical 8-hour battery life under the mobile network is 11.77 hours, which is significantly ahead of other 5G smartphones.
The Meizu 17 will be upgraded to Flyme 8.1 system. The latter comes more than 300 improvements and optimizations and brings new features such as small window mode 2.1 and OneMind 4.0. And it further improves the dark mode and intelligent voice assistant Aicy.
Meizu Pay, Meizuâ€™s NFC technology, added 8 new transportation cards, 4 of which will be launched soon, providing a large number of free card issuance places.
In addition, the Meizu 17 supports eID electronic ID card, which can not only identify individuals online but also be used for identity verification in check-in hotels, airport check-in, etc.
Meizu 17 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 41, 78, 79 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A; 5G
- Announced: 2020, May 08
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, May 11
- Dimensions: 160 x 77.2 x 8.5 mm (6.30 x 3.04 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 199 g (7.02 oz)
- Colors: Green, Gray, Aurora White
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.6 inches, 106.9 cm2 (~86.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~390 ppi density)
- 90Hz refresh rate
- 700 nits typ. value
- Android 10, Flyme 8.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/1.9, 24mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4Âµm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 118Â° (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12Âµm
- 5 MP, f/1.9, (macro)
- Features: 5-LED dual-tone flash, Auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 20 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 0.8Âµm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 Ð°/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 30W, 45% in 30 min (advertised)
- Quick Charge 3.0
Meizu 17 Price and Availability
The Meizu 17 prices are as follow;
- 8GB + 128GB version costs 3699 yuan ($523)
- 8GB + 256GB version costs 3999 yuan ($565)
The Meizu 17 series will be available on May 11 through all channels.