A new gaming phone has emerged in nubiaâ€™s Red Magic lineup and it comes with arguably of the most impressive spec sheets we’ve seen so far. The Red Magic 5G has the highest refresh rate screen on the market at 144Hz alongside the latest flagship chipset from Qualcomm â€“ the Snapdragon 865, up to 16GB RAM and 256GB UFS 3.0 storage, dual-mode 5G connectivity and a 64MP main camera.
The phone comes with a highly sophisticated active air-cooling system that combines a spinning fan with a heat-sink chamber, which nubia claims can reduce the CPU temperature by up to 18Â°C. The cooling solution also kicks in while the phone is charging at its peak 55W speeds to prevent any overheating issues and ensure even faster top ups.
The Red Magic 5G is build around a 6.65-inch FHD+ (2340x1080pixels) AMOLED panel with sleek top and bottom bezels. Thereâ€™s an 8MP selfie cam on the top as well as a built-in optical fingerprint scanner. The 144Hz refresh rate is accompanied by 240Hz touch-sensing which should ensure buttery-smooth interaction and gaming on supported titles.
Under the hood, thereâ€™s a Snapdragon 865 chipset that is in charge alongside the X55 modem. RAM ranges from 8GB to 16GB while storage is of the speedy UFS 3.0 type – it starts at 128GB and maxes out at 256GB.
Going around the aluminum back, we find the 64MP Sony IMX686 main camera which is accompanied by an 8MP ultra-wide snapper and 2MP macro shooter. It wouldnâ€™t be a proper gaming phone without some extravagant lighting effects and the Red Magic 5G packs an RGB light panel.
Another gaming feature making a return are the capacitive shoulder triggers which now boast an impressive 300Hz sampling rate which should result in minimal touch input latency.
The battery comes in at 4,500mAh, which should enable pretty lengthy gaming sessions.
The software front is covered by Red Magic OS which sits on top of Android 10. Other notable features include Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, a headphone jack and a 3 microphone setup for optimal audio capture.
ZTE nubia Red Magic 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 26(850), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: 5G band 41(2500), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2020, March 12
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, March 19
- Dimensions: 168.6 x 78 x 9.8 mm (6.64 x 3.07 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 218 g (7.69 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back, aluminum frame
- Colours: Black, Mars Red, Cyber Neon, Transparent
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- RGB light panel (on the back)
- Pressure sensitive zones (300Hz touch-sensing)
- Built-in cooling fan
- Type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.65 inches, 108.6 cm2 (~82.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~388 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- DCI-P3 100%
- 240Hz touch-sensing
- Android 10.0; Redmagic 3.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM, 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 16GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.0
- Main Camera: Triple
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8Âµm, PDAF
- 8 MP, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, (macro)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4320p, 2160p@30/60fps, 1920fps
- Selfie Camera: Single: 8 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, aptX, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go; accessory connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 55W, 56% in 15 min, 100% in 40 min (advertised)
- Models: NX659J
ZTE nubia Red Magic 5G Price and Availability
- 8/128GB version goes for CNY3,799 ($540)
- 12/128GB version goes for CNY4,099 ($585)
- 12/256GB version goes for CNY4,399 ($625)
- 16/256GB version goes for CNY4,999 ($712)
The Transparent Edition
- 12/256GB model goes for CNY 4,599 ($655)
- 16/256GB model goes for CNY 5,199 ($740)
Pre-orders in China are scheduled to tip-off today, while first sales will start March 19. Thereâ€™s also plans for a global release later in April.