Xiaomi has just unveiled the Redmi Note 9S. As expected, it’s a new name for the already announced Redmi Note 9 Pro. That’s not to take anything away from what is certainly a great phone though.
The Redmi Note 9S is built around a 6.67-inch IPS LCD panel with 1080 x 2400px (20:9 aspect ratio) resolution. Xiaomi says it can reach up to 450 nits brightness, supports HDR10 and complies with TÜV Rheinland’s standards for low blue light emissions. This is also the first phone from the series with a punch hole for the selfie camera, which Xiaomi calls Tiny DotDisplay. And last, but not least, the screen has Gorilla Glass 5 protection layer and so does the back of the phone.
Inside you get the Snapdragon 720G coupled with either 4GB or 6GB of RAM while the storage options are 64GB and 128GB, respectively. You can expand that via the microSD card slot.
The square-shaped camera module on the back packs four cameras – a 48MP main one with f/1.8 aperture, 8MP ultrawide unit with f/2.2 aperture and a 5MP macro lens. The last piece is a 2MP depth-sensing camera for better portraits.
The cutout of the display houses a 16MP camera with f/2.5 aperture and it can record 120fps slow-motion videos.
A 5,020 mAh battery keeps the lights on, which partially explains why the phone weighs 209 grams. The battery can be charged using the 22.5W-capable brick in the box. It also features the 3.5mm audio jack and IR blaster.
Finally, the fingerprint reader has been moved from the back to the side. It seems that most budget phones these days prefer the side-mounted fingerprint scanner + power button combo.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, March 23
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, April 7
- Dimensions: 165.8 x 76.7 x 8.8 mm (6.53 x 3.02 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 209 g (7.37 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame
- Colours: Aurora Blue, Glacier White, Interstellar Gray
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~84.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 450 nits typ. brightness (advertised)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Storage: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- UFS 2.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
- 5 MP, f/2.4, (macro), 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1.0µm
- Features: HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM radio, recording
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5020 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Price and Availability
In Malaysia the price of the;
- 4GB/64GB version costs MYR799 (€165)
- 6GB/128GB version costs MYR899 (€190)
In Singapore, the smartphone will be selling for
- 4GB/64GB version costs SGD 299
- 6GB/128GB version costs SGD 349
In Thailand, the handset will
- 4GB/64GB version costs THB 6,499
- 6GB/128GB version costs THB 7,999
On AliExpress, you will be asked to buy
- 4GB/64GB version for $249
- 6GB/128GB version for $279.
AliExpress ships around the globe.
The Redmi Note 9S will be made available starting April 7. You can choose between Aurora Blue, Glacier White and Interstellar Grey.
The announcement finished with the unveiling of a MFF 2020 Limited Edition of the Redmi Note 9S. Only 2020 units will be made of the exclusive paintjob that will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Mi Fan Festival this year.