Huawei P40 Pro Plus
The Huawei P40 Pro Plus is the improved version of the Pro model. The biggest improvement is to the zoom cameras (yes, plural), but Huawei also hit a new benchmark in wireless charging.
The plus model has a periscope lens with a focal length of 240mm, almost twice as long as the one on the P40 Pro (125mm). It’s backed by an 8MP image sensor and feature OIS. That’s the longest lens on mobile yet, but Huawei had to craft a unique design to achieve it:
The Pro Plus has an additional telephoto camera – 80mm lens – to bridge the gap between the extreme telephoto and the regular camera. This gives you more flexibility and allows you to capture high-quality photos at various distances.
The P40 Pro Plus is the first phone to come with 40W wireless charging. We’ve seen prototypes from competitors, but Huawei is the first to launch it. Wired charging for the 4,200mAh battery is 40W. Reverse wireless charging is supported, of course.
The phone is also powered by the same Kirin 990 5G chipset with 8GB of RAM just like its siblings, but comes with more storage – 512GB is the only option.
The Chinese manufacturer also upgraded the build of the phone, giving it a durable ceramic body – it’s as tough as sapphire, according to the company. It needs 5 full days in the kiln to form properly and is machined with a special cutting head to achieve some of the tighter curves of the design. It’s available in Black and White and is still IP68 water and dust resistant.
The rest is unchanged, including perks like the largest image sensor in modern smartphones – the 1/1.28″ 50MP sensor with RYYB filter and 100% phase detection coverage. There’s also the 40MP ultra wide-angle cam, the color temperature sensor and 3D ToF sensor on the back.
The P40 Pro Plus has the same 6.58-inch OLED panel with 90Hz refresh rate as the regular Pro. The 32MP selfie cam (4К/60fps video) is joined by a secure IR face scanner, which can be used as an alternative. There’s also an in-display fingerprint reader (that is 30% larger than on the previous generation). Checkout the full specs below.
Huawei P40 Pro Plus Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G bands: 5G band 1(2100), 3(1800), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2020, March 26
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, June
- Dimensions: 158.2 x 72.6 x 9 mm (6.23 x 2.86 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 226 g (7.97 oz)
- Build: Glass front, cerramic back, cerramic frame
- Colours: Silver Frost, Blush Gold, Deep Sea Blue, Ice White, Black
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM/eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.58 inches, 105.2 cm2 (~91.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1200 x 2640 pixels (~441 ppi density)
- Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS); EMUI 10.1
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.0
- Main Camera: Quad
- 50 MP, f/1.9, 23mm (wide), 1/1.28″, 2.44µm, omnidirectional PDAF, OIS
- Periscope 8 MP, f/4.4, 240mm (telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 10x optical zoom
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- TOF 3D, (depth)
- Features: Leica optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720@7680fps, HDR; gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 32 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm, AF
- IR TOF 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor)
- Features: HDR
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Infrared face recognition, fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4200 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 40W
- Fast wireless charging 40W
- Fast reverse wireless charging 27W
Models: ELS-NX9, ELS-N04
Huawei P40 Pro Plus Price and Availability
The Huawei P40 Pro Plus starts at €1399 ($1533) for the 8GB RAM and 512GB model and goes on sale on June.