The Honor Play 9A has been launched today, as a budget-conscious entry device. The comes with a large 5,000mAh battery – that’s 1,000mAh more than the Honor 9X and Play 3 have – but is missing their 48MP camera.
The Honor 9A is built around a 6.3-inch LCD on the front with 720p+ resolution (20:9 aspect ratio), it covers 70% of the NTSC color space. Burrowed in a teardrop notch on top is an 8MP selfie camera with 1080p video recording capabilities.
Around the back is a 13MP main camera (f/1.8 aperture) that also shoots video in 1080p. Next to it is a 2MP depth sensor for portrait shots (there’s no ultra-wide cam, check out the Honor Play 3 if you need one). Also here is the rear-mounted fingerprint reader.
The Honor Play 9A is powered by a MediaTek Helio P35 chipset (eight Cortex-A53 CPU cores + PowerVR GE8320 GPU). It’s hooked to 4GB of RAM and runs Android 10 with Magic UI 3.0.1 on top.
The phone comes with 64GB of storage by default with an option for 128GB. A standard microSD card can be placed in the dedicated slot to add up to 512GB more.
The 5,000mAh battery charges over an outdated microUSB port and only reaches speeds of 10W.
Honor Play 9A Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A Cat4 150/50 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, March 30
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, April
- Dimensions: 159.1 x 74.1 x 9 mm (6.26 x 2.92 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 185 g (6.53 oz)
- Build: Glass front, plastic back, plastic frame
- Colors: Blue Water Emerald, Jasper Green, Dark Night Black
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.3 inches, 95.8 cm2 (~81.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~278 ppi density)
- Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS); Magic UI 3.0
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6765 Helio P35 (12nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- Storage: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 13 MP, f/1.8, (wide), PDAF
- 2 MP, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: Battery charging 10W
Models: MOA-AL00, MOA-TL00, MED-AL20, MOA-AL20
Honor Play 9A Price and Availability
The Honor Play 9A is currently available for pre-order on vmall.
- 64GB version goes for CNY 900 ($125)
- 128GB version goes for CNY 1,200 ($170)
Both are available in Night Black, Blue Emerald and Jasper Green. There’s no info on if and when the 9A will be available internationally.
For comparison, the Honor Play 3 starts at CNY 1,000 and has a 48MP main camera, 8MP ultra wide and a faster Kirin 710 chipset.