These days, most smartphones around are either made of polycarbonate, metal or a mix of glass and metal. However, some manufacturers keeps experimenting with other materials such as ceramic and carbon fiber.
The Carbon fiber is actually a new material that we are about to see in the market., thanks to a company called Carbon Mobile. The firm has announced the worldâ€™s first phone made from carbon fiber dubbed Carbon 1 Mark II.
According to Carbon, the phone is built with HyRECM Technology (Hybrid Radio Enabled Composite Materials). The carbon fibers are interwoven with â€œradio permittingâ€ composites. They create a continuous monocoque (an integration of the chassis and body) design. The final result is a thin device and light. The Carbon 1 Mark II weighs 125g and has a thickness of just 6.3mm. So this is not only the first carbon fiber-made phone, but it is also one of the lightest and thinnest phones in recent times.
The handset is built around a 6.01-inch AMOLED display which is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6. The glass is super thin measuring only 0.4mm to keep the phoneâ€™s overall thin design.
Under the hood, the phone is powered by aÂ MediaTek Helio P90 SoC. While the RAM amount still unknown, there is 128GB of Internal Storage. It also has two rear cameras, but details were not specified.
The Carbon 1 Mark II has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner that sits just below the textured power button. The volume control buttons are also on the same side. The phone draws power from a 3,040mAh battery that charges via USB Type-C port. This battery capacity isnâ€™t impressive anymore and just feels like a standard. There is no mention of fast-charging, but hopefully, it can charge with at least 18W.
Carbon 1 Mark II Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G bands: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G bands: LTE, VoLTE, VoWi-fi, ViLTE 1(2100) / 2() / 3(1800) / 4() / 5(850) / 7() / 8(900) / 20(800) / 28(700) / 38(2600).
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
- Announced: February 2020
- Release Date: From June 2020
- Dimensions: 153.5 x 74 x 6.3 mm
- Weight: 125g
- Colours: Original Carbon Fiber Matte Black.
- Physical Build: Hybrid Carbon Fiber Composite, Monocoque Design.
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- Type:Â AMOLED display
- Size: 6.0 inches
- Resolution: 2160 x 1080 pixels, 18:9 aspect ratio
- Protection: Gorilla Glass 6.
- Android 10
- Processor Type: 64-bit, 2.2GHz Octa-core, Cortex-A73
- Processor Name: Mediatek Helio P90 (10nm)
- Graphics Processor: IMG PowerVR GM 9446
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB â€“ UFC 2.1
- External Storage: N/A
- Rear Camera: 16MP dual, f/2.0, LED flash, OIS, EIS, 1080p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 20MP, f/2.2, Face Recognition, EIS, 1080p video capture.
- Music Support: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC + / MP3 / AMR â€“ NB / WB / APE
- Audio: 3.5 mm audio jack.
- Loudspeaker: Dual speakers
- Video Support: H.265/HEVC/H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio: N/A.
- Bluetooth: v5.0, A2DP, LE / aptX, aptX HD
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, Galileo
- USB: microUSB v2.0.
- NFC: No.
- Sensors:Â Accelerometer,Â Digital Compass,Â Proximity,Â Ambient Light,Â Gyroscope,Â Fingerprint Scanner (side-mounted)
- Face Unlock: Yes.
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes; Google Assistant.
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-Removable Lithium-Ion 3050 mAh
- Battery Charging: Standard charging
Carbon 1 Mark II Price and Availaibility
The look and materials used probably explain the high price â‚¬800 (~$882) for the main Edition. You also need to make a down-payment of â‚¬250 (~$276) and a balance of â‚¬550 (~$606) fifteen days before delivery. According to the company, only 2000 units are available and shipping will begin in June 2020.