The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is finally officially here to take on the Motorola Razr 2019. The second foldable phone from Samsung almost stole the spotlight from the Galaxy S20-series. Unlike the Galaxy Fold which unfolded to a tablet-sized screen the Z Flip is a regular-sized phone that folds to a tiny size, the Galaxy Z Flip employs a largely different spin on the foldable formula.
The handset features a super tall 22:9 6.7-inch Dynamic AMOLED. Excitingly, unlike all foldable screen phones so far, it employs Ultra Thin Glass layer on top, so it should be far more resistant to scratches. The resolution is 1080 x 2636px, which add up to just over 50% more pixels than its closest rival – the Motorola Razr. The Galaxy Z Flip also has a 1.1-inch secondary Super AMOLED positioned on the back of its cover so you can see your notification at a glance. It sits below a sheet of Gorilla Glass 6 along with the rest of the phone’s outer body.
The Galaxy Z Flip is powered by the last year’s Snapdragon 855+ flagship chipset rather than the much expected 2020 Snapdragon 865 silicone and the phone does not support 5G. The only memory variant is 8GB/256GB but it makes use of the latest UFS 3.0 storage.
The main camera on the outside of the phone is using Samsung’s 12MP sensor with f/1.8 aperture and relatively big 1.4Âµm pixels. It’s joined by an ultrawide unit of the same 12MP resolution but with smaller sensor and slower F/2.2 aperture.
Samsung is making a big deal about the Galaxy Z Flip’s internal camera. Its 10MP resolution and f/2.4 are actually a step behind even the Galaxy S10 family, but the phone can be folded at a bunch of different angles and laid flat on a table for an entirely new take on video calls or self-recording.
The Galaxy Z Flip features a 3,300 mAh battery, but charging speeds are limited to 15W.
Other noteworthy features include a set of stereo loudspeakers tuned by AKG, wireless charging and Android 10 with One UI 2.0 out of the box.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46(5200), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat16 1000/150 Mbps
- Announced: 2020, February 11
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, February 14
- Unfolded: 167.3 x 73.6 x 7.2 mm
- Folded: 87.4 x 73.6 x 17.3 mm
- Weight: 183 g (6.46 oz)
- Colours: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, Mirror Gold
- Build: Glass front, aluminum frame
- SIM: Nano-SIM, eSIM
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Type: Foldable Dynamic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.7 inches, 101.6 cm2 (~82.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2636 pixels (~425 ppi density)
- Cover display: 1.1″, Super AMOLED, 112 x 300 pixels (Corning Gorilla Glass 6)
- Always-on display
- Android 10.0; One UI 2
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.95 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.41 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.78 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640 (700 MHz)
- RAM: 8 GB
- Internal Storage: 256 GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.0
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4Âµm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, HDR10+
- Selfie Camera: Single – 10 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1.22Âµm, PDAF
- Features: HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 3300 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 15W
- Wireless charging
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Price and Availability
|Samsung Galaxy Z Flip||US||Europe||UK|
There will also be a Thom Browne Edition Limited Edition that will be launched in New York tomorrow (February 12) at the New York Fashion Week.
The Galaxy Flip Z will come with a free YouTube Premium subscription and will include a pair of AKG USB Type-C earphones and a case inside the box.