Xiaomi’s sub-division smartphone maker, Redmi announced the entry-level Redmi 8A last September and now, the company has decided to launch an upgraded version today, called Redmi 8A Dual.
As obvious from its name, the Redmi 8A Dual sports a dual camera setup on the back which is a combination of 13MP main and 2MP depth sensor modules. For selfies and video calls, you get an 8MP camera on the front with Portrait Mode.
The Redmi 8A Dual features a 6.22-inch HD+ LCD which is protected by Gorilla Glass 5, and the back panel has an Aura XGrip Design for a better hand grip. The smartphone also comes with a P2i coating so, never worry about the occasional water spill.
Under the hood, the Redmi 8A Dual has a Snapdragon 439 SoC, paired with 2GB or 3GB RAM. The smartphone comes with 32GB of internal storage, and there’s a dedicated microSD card slot, allowing storage expansion by up to 512GB.
Powering the smartphone is a 5,000 mAh battery that charges through a USB-C port at 18W, however the box only contains a 10W charger. On the upside, the phone supports reverse charging, so you can also use it as a power bank.
The rest of the features of the Redmi 8A Dual include AI Face Unlock, Wireless FM Radio, and VoWiFi.
Xiaomi Redmi 8A Dual Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
- Announced: 2020, February 11
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, February 18
- Dimensions: 156.5 x 75.4 x 9.4 mm (6.16 x 2.97 x 0.37 in)
- Weight: 188 g (6.63 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic back, plastic frame
- Colours: Sky White, Sea Blue, Midnight Grey
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Splash resistant
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.22 inches, 96.6 cm2 (~81.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~270 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 400 nits typ. brightness
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 (12 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4×1.45 GHz Cortex A53)
- GPU: Adreno 505
- RAM: 2GB, 3GB
- Internal Storage: 32GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Dual
- 13 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/3.1″, 1.12µm, PDAF
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5.0″, 1.75µm, depth sensor
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: FM Radio, built-in antenna
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Availability: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W
- Power bank/Reverse charging
Xiaomi Redmi 8A Dual Pricing and Availability
The Redmi 8A Dual comes with a price tag that starts at INR6,499 ($90/€84) for the 2GB/32GB version and INR6,999 ($97/€90) for a version with extra 1GB RAM .
The phone will go on sale in India starting February 18 noon local time through the company’s official site, Amazon.in and Mi Home stores. It will also be available in other offline retail stores across the country soon.