Huawei launched the foldable Mate X at last year’s MWC, and though its release to the market was delayed several times, the announcement of its successor remains much more punctual. The Chinese giant has just unveiled the Huawei Mate Xs, which is expected to come with some polished and well improved features.
The new foldable phone is powered by the Kirin 990 5G chipset, and also brings an upgraded hinge structure, and improved cooling system, while the screen, cameras and overall design remain virtually unchanged.
The Huawei Mate Xs has a 2-layer structure with added strength over the foldable OLED panel – it is a sandwich of two polyamide films with optically clear adhesive between them. The diagonal of the unfolded display remains 8-inch with a resolution of 2480 x 2200 pixels for even better edge detection and great-looking bokeh shots.
When the Mate Xs folds, there is a main 6.6-inch screen with a 19.5:9 ratio, while the back has a super tall 25:9 screen that you can use as a viewfinder for selfies.
The Huawei Mate Xs has a 40MP f/1.8 main shooter, 8MP f/2.4 telephoto lens with OIS and 16MP f/2.2 ultrawide snapper. There is also a ToF module
There are no front cameras – you just fold the Mate Xs and take selfies looking at the backside of the folded device.
On the inside the Mate Xs brings a new Falcon Wing hinge that Huawei says should be more robust. It does look a bit better, as we established in our hands-on, but on the front the crease where the panel folds remain visible.
The battery of the Mate Xs is 4,500 mAh with 55W fast-charging capabilities, with the required charger included in the box.
Huawei Mate Xs arrives with EMUI 10, based on the open-source version of Android 10, and unsurprisingly, there are no Google services. Huawei is relying on its ecosystem called HMS (Huawei Mobile Services), which it’s extensively working on, but it still misses a bunch of vital apps.
Huawei Mate Xs Specifications and Price
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: 5G band 41(2500), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A Cat21 1400/200 Mbps, 5G (2+ Gbps DL)
- Announced: 2020, February 24
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2020, March
- Dimensions: Unfolded: 161.3 x 146.2 x 5.4 mm
- Folded: 161.3 x 78.3 x 11 mm
- Weight: 295 g (10.41 oz)
- Build: Plastic front, aluminum back, aluminum frame
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Colours: Interstellar Blue
- Type: Foldable OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 8.0 inches, 205.0 cm2 (~86.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 2200 x 2480 pixels (~414 ppi density)
- Folded cover display: 6.6 inches, AMOLED, 1148 x 2480 pixels (19.5:9)
- Android 10.0; EMUI 10.0
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- RAM: 8 GB
- Internal Storage: 512 GB
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.0
- Main Camera: Quad
- 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto)
- 16 MP, f/2.2, 17mm (ultrawide)
- TOF 3D, (depth)
- Features: Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: No – uses main camera
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 55W
- Huawei SuperCharge (85% in 30 min)
Huawei Mate Xs Price and Availability
The price of Huawei Mate Xs, model 8/512GB starts at €2,499 and will enter the global market as from next month, confirmed Richard Yu, Huawei CEO.