Google has announced its plans to kill its low-code environment for building custom enterprise apps in 2021. According to an official blog post from the search giant, the companyâ€™s App Maker platform will be gradually disabled over the next year before shutting it down completely on January 19, 2021. Presently, existing apps will continue to work, even though the software itself is no longer under active development.
Google App maker was launched back in 2018, and it’s already going down. According to Google, the platform is going down due to low usage, Google App Maker will be turned down gradually over the course of 2020 andÂ officially shut down on January 19, 2021. Prior to the shutdown, youâ€™ll need to review App Maker usage in your domain and take any necessary action.
The App Maker will be disabled in three steps:
- January 27, 2020: Existing apps continue to work. Though App Maker is no longer under active development, the service will continue to be maintained.
- April 15, 2020: You will no longer be able to create new App Maker apps. You will still be able to edit and deploy existing apps.
- January 19, 2021: Existing App Maker apps will stop working and you will no longer have access to them.
Google App Maker alternatives
Google has also offered alternatives to the App Maker service depending on the usage:
- For data collection, Google Forms is what you should be looking at.
- For business process automation, Google says users should take a look at AppSheet.
- For enterprise app development needs, Google points out App Engine for building and deploying Google Cloud Platform services.
Let us know what you think in the comment.