Gionee appears to be really gaining back its stand from its bankruptcy status which it declared towards the end of 2018. Another from this brand that is still around is the unveiling of a new phone, meet the Gionee Steel 5.
The phone features a 6.2-inch IPS LCD with 720p resolution. Up top is the 13MP selfie camera in a teardrop notch. Around the back is square camera bump housing the 12MP camera and 2MP depth sensor, plus a two LED flash.
The Gionee Steel 5 runs “AmigoOS” based on Android 9 Pie. It comes in two memory configurations, 4/64GB and 6/128GB. However, the chipset has an octa-core processor.
The phone’s best feature is probably the 5,000mAh battery. It could have benefited from fast charging, though, you only get the bare minimum of 10W. The phone features 4G connectivity and two SIM card slots.
Gionee Steel 5 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE
- Speed: HSPA, LTE
- Announced: 2020, January 11
- Availability: 2020, January
- Dimensions: 159.75 x 75.9 x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 256 g
- Colour: Black, Gold
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD display with waterdrop notch
- Size: 6.217-inch
- Resolution: HD+ resolution of 1280 x 720 px (19:9)
- Android 9 pie; Amigo OS
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6739 (28 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP2
- RAM: 4GB / 6GB
- Storage: 64GB / 128GB (up to 128GB for microSD)
- Main camera: Dual (12 MP + 2 MP)
- Front camera: Single – 13 MP
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS
- USB: Type-C
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: 5V / 2A
Gionee Steel 5 Price and Availability
The phone will be available in China for a price tag of 13,000 yen (799CNY), about US$115.
We expect it to be made available in other markets later within the year.