Vivo has added another camera-focused smartphone to its X-series with a more premium standing. Meet the new vivo X30 and X30 Pro. The duo features Samsung chipsets with an integrated 5G modem, a first in the industry, even before Samsung did it.
The two models are almost the same phone, the major difference is that the Pro has a 5x periscope camera. It shoots 12MP photos at a native focal length of 135mm, but digital zoom can go up to 60x magnification (and there’s a dedicated mode for photos of the Moon).
A defining feature of the X30 camera setup is the 50mm portrait camera. It has a high resolution 32MP sensor and a bright f/2.0 aperture. Taking a page out of Sony’s handbook, the autofocus locks onto the eyes of your subjects and will track them as they move. There’s a bokeh feature too, naturally.
Note that since the 50mm portrait cam on the non-Pro model is its only zoom camera, it tops out at 2x optical and 20x digital zoom.
The main camera of both phones packs a 64MP sensor and a 26.4mm lens with f/1.8 aperture. The Super Night mode can stack 12-16 photos to reduce the noise in the dark. There’s also “Hyper HDR”, which specializes in shooting against the sun or bright lights at night.
Then there’s the 8MP ultrawide-angle camera, 16mm or 108° (after perspective correction), which takes 8MP photos. Finally, the 32MP selfie camera lives in a tiny punch hole, a hair under 3mm in diameter.
vivo calls the 6.44-inch Super AMOLED panel “XDR display”. It boasts 800 nits of brightness, going up to a maximum of 1,200 nits local brightness. The panel has 1,080 x 2,400 resolution.
The vivo X30 and X30 Pro are powered by the Exynos 980 chipset. It features two Cortex-A77 cores (which promise a 20% performance boost over the A76), plus six A55 cores. The CPU and the Mali-G76 MP5 GPU are hooked up to a heat pipe to keep them running cool.
The most interesting part of this chipset is the integrated 5G modem. It can deliver speeds up to 3.55Gbps (combining 4G and 5G). The “Multi-Turbo 2.5” feature will switch over to 4G or 5G if the Wi-Fi network is slow to ensure things download as fast as possible.
The vivo X30 series run Funtouch OS 10 out of the box, after the Jovi rebrand was cancelled. Anyway, the latest Funtouch is based on Android 10, here’s a quick introduction.
Both phones feed off a 4,350mAh battery, which supports 33W Flash Charge through the USB-C port. There’s also a dedicated 3.5mm headphone jack.
vivo X30 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: 5G band 41(2500), 78(3500); SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G (3.6+ Gbps DL)
- Announced: 2019, December
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2019, December 28 | December 24 (vivo X30 Pro)
- Dimensions: 158.5 x 74.1 x 8.8 mm (6.24 x 2.92 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 196.5 g (6.95 oz) | 5 g (7.02 oz) (vivo X30 Pro)
- Colours: Black, Peach, Light Blue
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.44 inches, 100.1 cm2 (~85.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~409 ppi density)
- 800 nits typ. brightness
- Android 9.0 (Pie); Funtouch 10.0
- Chipset: Exynos 980
- CPU: Octa-core
- RAM: 8 GB
- Inbuilt Storage: 128 GB/256 GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- Periscope 13 MP, f/3.0, 135mm (telephoto), 1/4″, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS, 5x optical zoom (for only vivo X30 Pro)
- 32 MP, f/2.0, 50mm (telephoto), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama | Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama (vivo X30 Pro)
- Video: [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4350 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 33W
Models: V1938CT, V1938T (Pro version)
vivo X30 / vivo X30 Pro Price and Availability
The two phones come out in China later this month. The vivo X30 Pro comes out first (December 24) and will cost CNY 4,000 for the 8/128GB model and CNY 4,300 for the 8/256GB option.
The vivo X30 will be available only in 8/128GB configuration at first, starting on December 28 at a price of CNY 3,300. There’s an 8/256GB version in the cards targeting CNY 3,600.