We’ve already seen a few Chinese smartphone brands launched 5G-ready phones in the home market. However, all the 5G phones currently available in China are flagship devices and the most affordable 5G flagship phone starts at 3,299 Yuan (about USD$ 470) in China. Well, today, Xiaomi’s sub-brand Redmi has launched a very affordable 5G phone called the Redmi K30 5G phone. The phone currently stands as the cheapest 5G enabled smartphone in the world.
Apart from its price, it is also the first smartphone ever to feature the all new Snapdragon 765G gaming-centric 5G chipset. The new SoC brings support for dual-mode 5G connectivity on the Redmi K30 Pro 5G. Another first on the Redmi K30 is the arrival the brand new Sony IMX686 64-megapixel sensor. The Xiaomi’s brand also unveiled the 4G LTE sibling of the Redmi K30 alongside its 5G version.
Redmi K30 5G
The Redmi K30 5G comes with a 3D glass body that is curved on all four side and also Gorilla Glass 5 panels on its front and rear. The Redmi K30 5G features a 6.67-inch IPS LCD display. It is the first Redmi phone to arrive with support for 120Hz refresh rate which not only promises smoother scrolling, but also stutter-free gaming experience. The Chinese company claims that many apps already support the phone’s high frame rate mode.
The phone is powered by the new 7nm Snapdragon 730G, which promises 10 percent better performance. The chipset is paired with up to 8 GB of LPDDR4x RAM and inbuilt storage of up to 256 GB UFS 2.1 storage. A microSD card slot is available on the device for more storage. It is the company first device to run Android 10 OS which is overlaid with the latest MIUI 11 skin. The Mi Turbo 2.0 optimized the system performance whereas Game Turbo 2.0 enhances the device for gaming.
The rear camera adopts the latest Sony IMX686 64-megapixel primary lens with an f/1.89 aperture and a 1/1.73″ sensor size, the composition is 64 MP (main Sony IMX686 F1.89) + 8 MP (super wide angle F2.2) + 5 MP (macro F2. 4) +2 MP (depth F2.4) quad camera. The front camera also has dual len, 20 MP (main) + 2 MP (depth).
The Redmi K30 5G is fuelled by a 4,500mAh battery. The smartphone carries support for 30W fast charging. The smartphone is equipped with an independent high-efficiency charge pump with a charging conversion efficiency of up to 97 percent. The handset is incorporated with a copper tube for liquid cooling and heat dissipation which can effectively reduce the internal temperature by up to 7 degrees Celsius.
Redmi K30 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: 5G SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G (2+ Gbps DL)
- Announced: 2019, December 10
- Status: Release, 2019, December
- Dimensions: 165.3 × 76.6 × 8.79mm
- Weight: 208 g (7.34 oz)
- Colours: Time Monologue, Purple Jade Fantasy, Deep Sea Glow and Flower Shadow
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~84.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 10; MIUI 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G
- CPU: Octa-core 8×2.2 GHz Kryo
- GPU: Adreno 618
- RAM: 6GB / 8GB LPDDR4x
- Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB UFS2.1
- Memory Card slot: Yes
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.89, 26mm (wide), 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, (telephoto), 1/3.2″, 1.4µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- 5 MP, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5″, 1.75µm, depth sensor
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/120/240fps, [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 20 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/3.4″, 0.8µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5″, 1.75µm, depth sensor
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 30W
Models: M1912G7BE, M1912G7BC
Redmi K30 5G Price and Availability
The Redmi K30 5G ushers in a new era of 5G smartphones that are more affordable and mainstream. It is especially true for the mid-range smartphone market. This also falls is in line with Xiaomi’s belief of 5G smartphones soon overtaking its 4G counterparts in the next 3 to 4 years.
- 6 GB RAM + 64 GB storage- 1,999 Yuan (~$284)
- 6 GB RAM + 128 GB storage – 2,299 Yuan (~$326)
- 8 GB RAM + 128 GB storage – 2,599 Yuan (~$369)
- 8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage – 2,899 Yuan (~$412)
According to officials, the smartphone is expected to be available for purchase in January 2020.