HMD Global has today expanded its entry-level phone portfolio with the launching of the new Nokia 2.3 at its much-anticipated launch event in Egypt. The phone is a successor to the Nokia 2.2 which was earlier released this year and builds upon it with a Finnish-inspired design, dual-cameras, and bigger battery onboard.
Nokia 2.3: Specs and Features
First off with the design, Nokia 2.3 features a die-cast aluminum chassis and a polymer body with a 3D nanotextureÂ for a rigid yet comfortable grip. The company uses a color blend process to offer you some beautiful shades. Thereâ€™s no fingerprint scanner onboard but Nokia has added a dedicated Google Assistant button here.
The Nokia 2.3 features aÂ 6.2-inch HD+ LCD display, with a 19:9 aspect ratio and a tiny waterdrop notch up-top. Thereâ€™s a 5MP selfie camera housed in the notch and it could be used for Face Unlock as well.
The new smartphone is powered by the MediaTek Helio A22 chipset, coupled with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage (expandable up to 512GB). The smartphone runs Android 9 Pie out-of-the-box, which is super disappointing â€“ especially from a brand that touts itself to a part of Googleâ€™s Android One Project. I would have expected to seeÂ Android 10Â onboard in December from HMD Global.
In the camera department, Nokia 2.3 upgrades on its predecessor with the addition of a dual-camera setup on the rear. It includes a 13MP (f/2.2) primary lens, along with a 2MP depth sensor that will help in outputting better portrait shots. There are 6 different bokeh styles to choose from while clicking portrait photos, said Nokiaâ€™s representative on stage.
The smartphone comes equipped with aÂ 4,000mAh batteryÂ and a 5W charging adapter, which is okay for the price. The device supports all essential connectivity options such as Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS, GLONASS, and more.
Nokia 2.3 Specifications
- 2G bands:
- GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- GSM 900 / 1800 / 850 – India
- 3G bands:
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 – Global
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – USA / LATAM
- 4G bands:
- LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) – Global
- LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 28(700), 66(1700/2100) – USA / LATAM
- LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500) – India
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
- Announced: 2019, December
- Status: Release 2019, December
- Dimensions: 157.7 x 75.4 x 8.7 mm (6.21 x 2.97 x 0.34 in)
- Weight: 183 g (6.46 oz)
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Colours: Cyan Green, Sand, Charcoal
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.2 inches, 95.9 cm2 (~80.7% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~271 ppi density)
- Always-on display
- Android 9.0 (Pie), planned upgrade to Android 10; Android One
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6761 Helio A22 (12 nm)
- CPU: Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- RAM: 32GB 2GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 400 GB
- Main Camera: Dual
- 13 MP, f/2.2, 1/3.1″, 1.12Âµm, AF
- 2 MP, depth sensor
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 5 MP, f/2.4
- Video: Yes
- Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Charging: Regular
Price and Availability
Nokia 2.3 has beenÂ launched at an average price of 109 euros (USD $121) for the global markets. The phone will be shipping from mid-December and will come in three color variants, namely Cyan Green, Sand, and Charcoal.