It seems internet subscribers are beginning to find love again in the leading mobile operator, MTN as things have taken a different turn in the telecom industry these days.
According to the latest reports from NCC, MTN pushed aside Airtel for the first time in 5 months, gaining a total of 488,120 internet subscribers in the month under review.
1. Globacom’s internet subscribers base continue to decline as more customers drops the network for the second month in a row. The GSM Company has lost about 370,845 internet subscribers.
2. Despite the rise in MTN’s number of internet subscribers, it still pales in comparison to the over 2.4 million internet subscribers added in May 2019. MTN now has 52,163,778 subscribers.
3. Airtel, which had led the way in recent months in terms of gainers, recorded a slight drop. In October, it gained 420,031 internet subscribers, compared to 444,598 gained in the previous month. Airtel Nigeria continues to witness additional internet subscribers on a month-on-month basis.
4. In total, active internet subscribers by GSM stood at 123,206,103 compared to 122,792,291. This represents an increase of 413,812 subscribers only.
5. Internet subscribers on GSM networks have now increased by 11,573,587 since December 31, 2018, representing a growth of just 5.6%. The number of internet subscribers was 73, 122,552 5 years ago in October 2014.
Glo and 9mobile Are Currently The Losers
On the other hand, Globacom continues to lose internet subscribers probably because of their slow network in most locations. 370,845 internet subscribers dump the network, an increase from the 155,118 internet subscribers lost in September. The company has lost a cumulative 525,963 internet subscribers in just 2 months.
9mobile lost 122,711 internet subscribers in October, as against 156,065 recorded in September. 9mobile internet subscribers have continued to decline on steady bases and subscribers are complaining of how expensive 9mobile data his
Recently, the mobile operator revamped its data plans, making it more affordable to an extent, all in a bid to bring back its runaway customers to the network.
Telecom Operators’ Total Market Share
Towards the end of October 2019, MTN’s total market share was 65.87 million subscribers, Airtel rose to 49.08 million subscribers, Globacom is 50.25million, while 9mobile continues its free fall with 14.7 million subscribers left.