Alongside the long-awaited CC9 Pro camera phone, Xiaomi unveiled the Mi Watch smartwatch, at a special press conference. You have right to see the watch as a small smartphone because it provides a complete list of elements for offline calls: eSIM module, built-in microphone and speaker. In addition, the Mi Watch supports a full range of wireless interfaces (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, and even NFC).
The Xiaomi Mi watch runs a custom MIUI, based on Google’s Wear OS. There is also a set of classic functions for smartwatches, including heart rate monitoring, the ability to control physical activity and sleep and display notifications from a smartphone. It is possible to listen to music from the watch, it has 4 GB of internal memory.
The smartwatch comes with a square touchscreen display protected by sapphire glass. The back of the watch is made out of ceramic. There’s a crown on the right to navigate through the watch UI. Also, there’s a multi-purpose button as well as a microphone on the right side.
On the left, you have another microphone hole along with a speaker vent. The Mi Watch features an aluminum alloy body with a matte finish, but it has sharper curves than the Apple Watch. At the bottom, you’ll see the pins for the charging dock and the heart rate monitor.
The technical specs of the Xiaomi Mi Watch also include a 1.78-inch AMOLED display (326ppi, like the Apple Watch 5) with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 3100 4G chip featuring four Cortex A7 cores clocked at 1.2GHz. The watch has a battery of 570mAh, much bigger than its competitors. The company claims the Mi Watch can last up to 36 hours or up to two days on a single charge.
The Mi Watch also supports eSIM, which ensures you can connect to the internet via cellular networks. As well as making and receiving calls independently.
Xiaomi Mi Watch Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA, LTE
- Announced: 2019, November
- Status: Release 2019, November 11
- Dimensions: 44.7 x 36.9 x 12.3 mm (1.76 x 1.45 x 0.48 in)
- Weight: 44 g / 56 g (1.55 oz)
- Colors: Black, Silver
- SIM: Electronic SIM card (eSIM)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 1.78 inches, 10.0 cm2 (~60.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 368 x 448 pixels (~326 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3 or Sapphire crystal glass
- Proprietary wearable platform
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 3100 (28 nm)
- CPU: Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
- GPU: Adreno 304
- Storage: 8GB 1GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: No
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, heart rate, barometer
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 570 mAh / 590 mAh battery
- Charging: Wireless charging
- Mi Watch Standard (aluminum frame, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 display)
- Mi Watch Premium (stainless steel frame, Sapphire crystal glass display)
Xiaomi Mi Watch Price and Availability
For now, the Mi Watch Standard Version costs CNY 1,299 ($185) and will remain exclusive to China and there’s no word on international availability. It’s scheduled to hit the Chinese market on November 11.
The Premium Edition Mi Watch which comes with a sapphire crystal screen, stainless steel frame and band. That one will go for CNY 1,999 ($285) and is expected to come out before the end of the year.