Samsung, at an event in China, Today, has announced a new device. While the Korean firm experienced some glitches that delayed the timely release of the Galaxy Fold, it eventually rolled out the device a while ago and is now back with a second and, perhaps, a better offering. Welcome the Samsung W20 5G – Samsung’s latest, and second foldable smartphone.
The Samsung Galaxy W20 5G Design
The W-series is a smartphone line that packs flagship specs in the old clamshell design. The series is known for its dual displays, alphanumeric keypad, and expensive price tag. For the W20, some big changes were made but the price tag still remain costly.
The inner screen is now one enormous flexible touchscreen display that can be folded. You still have an outer screen but it is larger than any we have seen on previous models.
While the Samsung W20 looks nothing like its predecessors in terms of design, it is actually not a new device as it is just a rebranded Galaxy Fold 5G for China.
Samsung W20 Specs and Features
The phone has a 4.6-inch Super AMOLED screen with a 720 x 1680 display on the outside. When unfolded, you are greeted with a 7.3-inch flexible Super AMOLED display with a 1536 x 2152 display and HDR10 support.
This is Samsung’s first phone to come with a Snapdragon 855+ processor, a higher-clocked version of the processor inside the Galaxy Note10 and Galaxy S10 series. There is 12GB of RAM and it is matched with a more than sufficient 512GB of storage.
The inner display cuts off at the top right corner for a 10MP + 8MP dual camera combo while the back of the phone is home to a 12MP primary camera, a 16MP ultrawide angle camera, and a 12MP telephoto camera. At the top of the smaller display is a 10MP camera for selfies and video calls.
On the right frame of the phone are the volume rocker, power button, and side-mounted fingerprint scanner. A USB-C port and a primary microphone at the bottom left of the device while the bottom right is home to the speakers. The SIM tray is on the left frame.
The Samsung W20 5G has a dual-cell battery with a combined capacity of 4235mAh. It supports reverse wireless charging, so owners can use it to wirelessly charge their other devices. There are dual AKG-tuned stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos for an immersive audio experience while watching movies or playing games.
Samsung Galaxy W20 5G Specifications
- CPU: Snapdragon 855 Plus SM8150-AC 2.96GHz Octa Core
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Display: 7.3 inch infinity flex display, QXGA + (4.2: 3) 2152 × 1536, Dynamic AMOLED
- Cover Display: 4.6 inch, HD + (21: 9) 1680 × 720, Super AMOLED
- RAM: 12 GB
- Storage: 512 GB (UFS 3.0)
- Main Camera: 16 MP (super wide-angle F2.2) + 12 MP (wide-angle F1.5 / F2.4 OIS) + 12 MP
- Front Camera: 10 MP (F2.2) + 8 MP (RGB Depth F1.9) Dual camera
- Cover Camera (rear camera when folded): 10 MP (F2.2) Camera
- OS : Android 9 Pie (One UI)
- Dimension: -mm
- Weight: -g
- Battery: 4235mAh (Quick Charging Dual Battery, Wireless Charging Qi)
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac / ax (2.4 / 5GHz)
- Bluetooth: v5.0
- Waterproof Dustproof: None
- USB: USB type-C
- Authentication method: Fingerprint authentication sensor (side), Face authentication
- Colours: White
- Other: NFC, Dolby Atmos, Samsung DeX
- Network: 5G compatible
Samsung Galaxy W20 5G Price and Availability
The W20 5G supports only China Unicom and China Telecom NSA networks. It does not support SA networks.
Samsung ships the phone with One UI and their VIP services provided along with the purchase of the phone. You also get a free pair of Galaxy Buds and a leather calfskin case. However, there is no info on the price but Samsung did say it will go on sale in December.