Chinese manufacturer Huawei has announced a new 10.8-inch high-end Android tablet. Meet the Huawei MatePad Pro.
The Huawei MatePad Pro features a 10.8-inch display with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a screen to body ratio of 90%. In comparison, the iPad Pro sports a StB ratio of 84.6% while the Samsung Tab S6 tops at 83%. In terms of bezel thickness, the MatePad Pro is obviously leading as well with extra-thin 4.9mm bezels against the 8.3mm of the iPad Pro and 8.5mm of the Tab S6.
Going back to the display specs, the panel on Huaweiâ€™s tablet features 2560Ã—1600 (QHD) resolution, a brightness of 540 nits, a high DCI-P3 color gamut and great viewing angles; according to the maker.
Beneath the top-quality screen we then find the Huawei Kirin 990; the most powerful CPU in Huaweiâ€™s arsenal. The company compared it to the iPad Pro as far as app-starting times are concerned and found the Huawei MatePad Pro won 17 to 3.
The tablet also supports the use of a stylus which Huawei calls M-Pencil. The M-Pencil attaches to the MatePad Pro magnetically and charges wirelessly as well. The stylus can work for 10 minutes straight just after a 30 seconds charge.
The M-Pencil isnâ€™t the only thing that can charge without a physical connection though. As we anticipated in this article, the Huawei MatePad Pro also supports wireless charging, which is a first for a tablet. But whatâ€™s more interesting is that it supports reverse wireless charging as well, this allows users to charge other gadgets such as smartphones or compatible TWS earphones by placing them on the back of the device. Power wise, the tablet can wirelessly charge at 15W, while reverse wireless charging only tops at 7.5W.
The best way to charge the large 7250mAh capacity battery is through wire though. The tablet does indeed support 40W super fast charging to fill the battery up faster than usual.
Huawei MatePad Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE (unspecified)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2019, November
- Status: Release 2019, December 12
- Dimensions: 246 x 159 x 7.2 mm (9.69 x 6.26 x 0.28 in)
- Weight: 460 g (1.01 lb)
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Colors: Gray, White, Green, Orange
- Stylus support (magnetic)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 10.8 inches, 338.2 cm2 (~86.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 2560 x 1600 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~280 ppi density)
- 540 nits typ. brightness
- Android 10; EMUI 10
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.09 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.86 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Single – 13 MP, f/1.8, PDAF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0
- Video: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers (4 speakers)
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS (LTE model only)
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 7250 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 40W
- Fast wireless charging 15W
- Power bank/Reverse wireless charging 7.5W
Huawei MatePad Pro Price and Availability
Talking about pricing, the MatePad Pro has a starting price of;
- 3299 Yuan ($470) for 6GB / 128GB (WiFi only)
- 3999 Yuan ($570) for 8GB / 256GB (WiFi only)
- 3799 Yuan ($540) for 6GB / 128GB (LTE Version)
- 4499 Yuan ($640) for 8GB / 256GB (LTE Version)
Additionally if you also want the dedicated keyboard and M-Pencil, prices rise to 4999 Yuan ($710) for 8GB / 256GB WiFi; and 5999 Yuan ($850) for the top specced 8GB / 512GB LTE version.