Just two weeks after launching the Redmi 8A, Xiaomi has introduced the Redmi 8. The new smartphone offers similar specs but in a glass body with Xiaomi’s new Aura Mirror design, a second camera around the back and more RAM and storage options.
The Redmi 8 features a 6.22-inch HD+ IPS LCD with a notch for the 8MP F/2.0 selfie cam. On the back, we have a new dual-camera setup with a main 12MP F/1.8 Sony IMX 363 sensor with 1.4μm sized pixels and dual PD. The second unit is a 2MP depth sensor.
There’s AI scene detection with 33 profiles ranging from scenery, plants, pets and 6 India specific modes. Another nice addition is the fingerprint sensor which sits below the cameras.
The phone is powered by the same Snapdragon 439 chipset found on the Redmi 8A but this time around, you now get a 4GB RAM option and up to 64GB storage. On the battery front, you get a 5,000 mAh cell which supports up to 18W fast charging but you only get a 10W adapter in the box.
Other extras include wireless FM radio, a 3.5mm headphone jack, an IR blaster, and P2i splash protection.
Redmi 8 Specifications and Features
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA, LTE-A
- Announced: 2019, October
- Status: Coming soon. Exp. release 2019, October 12
- Dimensions: 156.5 x 75.4 x 9.4 mm (6.16 x 2.97 x 0.37 in)
- Weight: 188 g (6.63 oz)
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Colors: Onyx Black, Ruby Red, Sapphire Blue
- Splash resistant
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.22 inches, 96.6 cm2 (~81.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~270 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 9
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 (12 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×1.95 GHz Cortex-A53 & 6×1.45 GHz Cortex A53)
- GPU: Adreno 505
- Storage/RAM: 64GB 4GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 1 TB (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Dual
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF
- 2 MP, depth sensor
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W
Redmi 8 Price and Availability
The Redmi 8 will come in Sapphire Blue, Onyx Black and Ruby Red colors starting at;
- INR 7,999 ($112) for the 3/32GB model
- INR 8,999 ($126) for the 4/64 GB model
The phone will go on sales in India as from October 12 on Mi.com and Flipkart.
The phone is also available in Ukraine for UAH 4,499 ($181) for the 4/64GB model.
Redmi 8 Review Rating
We are yet to review the Redmi 8 and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about the Redmi 8 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.