The Huawei Mate X â€“ the much-awaited foldable smartphone from Huawei, and the brandâ€™s take on the Galaxy Fold from Samsung is finally hitting the retail stores in the coming month. The Chinese firmÂ Huawei at an event in China earlier this morning announced the availability and price details of the Foldable Huawei Mate X 5G.
As from next month â€“ November 15 to be precise, the Huawei Mate X 5G will go on sale at 16,999 yuan ($2,400, Â£1,860). While the Galaxy Fold has since been available for sale in the US, Korea, with plans for a wider roll-out, the Mate X 5G is at present available in China. Of course, we do not expect the device to go on sale in the States, however, the company has yet to detail a Global roll-out plan, so a little time could do for those who really prefer the Mate X over the Galaxy Fold.
Â For international release, the firm says its roll-out strategy is based on carriersâ€™ 5G roll out in different regions.
Unfortunately, the Huawei Mate X suffers the same fate as the Mate 30, and Mate 30 Pro both of which are now on sale in the country. These devices including the Mate X Mate X boot anÂ 9 Pie without theÂ essential Google apps and services you might be used to. Of course, that is as a result of theÂ trade ban imposed on the Chinese company by the States Commerce Department.
Huawei Mate X 5G Specs
In terms of design, the Huawei Mate X 5G seems to be a notch ahead of the Galaxy Fold, as it has a screen that wraps around the outside of the clamshell device. In the tablet state â€“ when unfolded, the Huawei Mate X 5G screen measures 8 inches diagonally. And in the smartphone mode, it wraps around to a 6.6-inch screen on the front and a 6.38-inch panel on the back.
The Mate X 5GÂ comes with Huaweiâ€™s Kirin 980 SoC with Barong 5000 5G modem. It has a dual-cell 4,500mAh battery with support for 55W fast charging.
Huawei Mate X specifications
- 6.6-inch (2480 x 1148 pixels) 19.5:9 OLED display when folded
- 6.38-inch (2480 x 892 pixels)Â OLED 25:9 display for back panel, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display when unfolded
- HUAWEI Kirin 980 (2 x Cortex A76 2.6 GHz + 2 x Cortex A76 1.92 GHz + 4 x Cortex A55 1.8 GHz) processor withÂ 720 MHz ARM Mali-G76MP10 GPU,Â Balong 5000 5G modem
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.1.1
- 40MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano /Â NM card)
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions:Â 161.3 x 78.3 (146.2 unfolded) x 5.4-11mm; Weight: 295g
- 5G Multi-mode,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500 mAh (typical) battery with 55W SuperCharge.