Vivo was the first manufacturer to launch a pop-up selfie camera with the Vivo NEX last year. It later brought the same bezel-less experience, with a pop-up camera, at a mid-range price tag with the Vivo V15 Pro earlier in 2019. Well, Vivo has continue the legacy with the new Vivo V17 Pro, which was announced at a launch event in India as the world’s first smartphone with a dual pop-up selfie camera module.
Vivo V17 Pro: Specs and Features
The Vivo V17 Pro boasts a stunning glass sandwich construction, with gradients inspired from mother nature and Gorilla Glass 6 protection on the rear. It features a 6.44-inch Full-HD+ E3 Super AMOLED display, which covers 100% DCI-P3 color spectrum, has Schott Xensation UP protection up-front, and its brightness can go as high as 500 nits.
The Vivo V17 Pro’s display has a taller 20:9 aspect ratio, a 91.65% screen-to-body ratio, and 1080×2440 pixels resolution. The E3 Super AMOLED display is more energy efficient than the E2 AMOLED screen, about 8%, which is excellent. The fingerprint sensor has been baked under the display and we expect it to be quite snappy, all thanks to Vivo’s latest innovations.
Under the hood, Vivo V17 Pro is powered by the Snapdragon 675 chipset, which is obviously the same chipset found in many popular budget phones like the Redmi Note 7 Pro. This is coupled with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card. The smartphone runs Android 9 Pie-based FunTouchOS 9, which is loaded with a plethora of AI features.
In the camera department, you can see in the image above that the Vivo V17 Pro has a rectangular quad-camera housing at the center on the rear. It features a 48MP (f/1.8) primary sensor, coupled with a 13MP telephoto lens with 2x optical zoom, an 8MP ultra-wide-angle lens with 120-degree field-of-view (also supports super macro at a 2.5cm focal length), and finally, a 2MP depth sensor.
The highlight of the Vivo V17 Pro, however, has to be the dual pop-up selfie camera. It’s the world’s first phone with dual cameras, which includes a 32MP primary sensor and an 8MP ultra-wide lens, in a pop-up module. It expands your usual selfies into 105-degrees group photos – a feature that should be useful for college students and joint families.
Vivo V17 Pro comes equipped with a 4,100mAh battery, with support for Vivo’s 18W dual-engine fast-charging technology. There’s a USB-C charging port, which is great as compared to a microUSB port that Vivo has stuck with for a long time. All the essential connectivity options such as Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.0, and more in tow as well.
Vivo V17 Pro Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: 2019, September
- Status: Release 2019, September 27
- Dimensions: 159 x 74.7 x 9.8 mm (6.26 x 2.94 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 201.8 g (7.09 oz)
- Colours: Crystal Black, Crystal Sky, Midnight Ocean
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.44 inches, 100.1 cm2 (~84.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~409 ppi density)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); Funtouch 9.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM675 Snapdragon 675 (11 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6×1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 612
- Storage: 128GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- 13 MP, (telephoto), PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5″, 1.75µm, depth sensor
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- Motorized pop-up 32 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
- Motorized pop-up 8 MP, 17mm (ultrawide)
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent)
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4100 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W
Models: 1909, PD1931F_EX
Vivo V17 Pro Price and Availability
The V17 Pro is priced at INR29,990 ($420/€380) and will go on sale in India from September 27 through vivo India’s official site, Amazon.in, Flipkart, and offline stores across the country. It will also arrive in other markets at a later date.