TCL, a Chinese TV maker has been in the technology space for an extended period. The company, whose presence in 2019’s staging of the IFA was expected to announce a smartphone, making the device its first handheld in a fiercely competitive market.
TCL has, in the past, been manufacturing phones for Alcatel and Blackberry so it has experience in designing and assembling a phone.
TCL has just unveiled its first entry to the mobile phone world with the brand new PLEX, a midrange offering with a 6.53-inch display, Snapdragon 675 chipset and triple camera setup.
Starting with the display, the PLEX features a 6.53-inch FHD+ LCD panel with a punch-hole cutout in the top left corner for its 24MP selfie cam. TCL is bringing its NXTVISION display and camera optimization software which will enhance color, clarity and contrast in real-time. The PLEX will also convert videos from SDR to HDR in real-time.
Going around the back we have a 48MP F/1.8 main shooter, 16MP F/2.4 secondary ultra-wide sensor and a 2MP depth helper aligned in a horizontal fashion. The PLEX features TCL’s Super Night Mode as well as several AI enhancements for more color-accurate shots.
The phone can also record super slow-mo videos at up to 960 fps. The cameras are flanked by two LED flashes while a fingerprint reader sits below. TCL went with a 3D holographic finish on the back glass which adds to the premium design.
Under the hood, we have the Snapdragon 675 chipset paired with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage which can be expanded via the microSD slot. The software front is covered by TCL UI built on top of Android Pie.
The device also features a dedicated Smart Key which adds programmable single, double or long-press action. Battery wise we have a 3,820 mAh cell which supports 18W fast charging. The phone also features a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as the T-Cast app which allows you to control TCL branded smart TVs.
TCL Plex Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat6 400/75 Mbps
- Announced: 2019, September
- Status: Release 2019, Q4
- Dimensions: 162.2 x 76.6 x 8 mm (6.39 x 3.02 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 192 g (6.77 oz)
- Colours: Obsidian Black, Opal White
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.53 inches, 104.7 cm2 (~84.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM675 Snapdragon 675 (11 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6×1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 612
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, UFS2.1
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 256 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 16 MP, f/2.4, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/3.1″, 1.0µm
- 2 MP, f/1.8
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.9μm
- Video: [email protected]
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 3820 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 3.0)
TCL Plex Price and Availability
The TCL PLEX will be available in Obsidian Black and Opal White in Q4 2019 in Europe. Pricing will start at around €329 ($360) but there’s no information on intentional availability for now.
TCL Plex Review Rating
We are yet to review the TCL Plex and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about TCL Plex are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.