Sony at the IFA 2019 introduced a new smartphone called Xperia 5 – yes, five. It comes with a 6.1-inch OLED panel with a tall CinemaWide screen, effectively arriving as the compact sibling of the Xperia 1 flagship.
The Sony Xperia 5 is powered by the Snapdragon 855, but unfortunately, the Five in the name has nothing to do with 5G – Sony coupled the chipset with the regular X24 LTE modem.
The new phone borrowed the trio of cameras from the Xperia 1 (12 MP regular + 12 MP ultra-wide-angle + 12 MP telephoto), but now the setup is placed in the upper left corner.
With the screen becoming smaller, Sony decided to cut down the resolution as well. This phone has Full HD+ resolution, which translates into 2520 x 1080 pixels. Sony says the screen has been tuned “for a viewing experience true to creators’ intent.”
There is also Dolby Atmos-enhanced stereo sound with one speaker on the bottom and the earpiece acting as a second one for the stereo experience.
Just like the Xperia 1, the new phone also brings Creator Mode. However, the Xperia 5 is one step ahead of its bigger brother with a new feature called “Smart connectivity”. It learns the phone’s behavior with LTE and Wi-Fi signal and automatically switches to LTE when it predicts any compromise in the wireless connectivity.
When a phone gets smaller, its battery cell imminently loses capacity – the Xperia 5 has only 3,140 mAh, but still supports Power Delivery charging, so there’s no issue in topping it with 18W rates.
Sony Xperia 5 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46, 66(1700/2100)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A Cat19 1600/150 Mbps
- Announced: 2019, September
- Status: Release 2019, October
- Dimensions: 158 x 68 x 8.2 mm (6.22 x 2.68 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 164 g (5.78 oz)
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 6) & aluminum frame
- Colours: Blue, Red, Black, Grey
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP65/IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.1 inches, 86.9 cm2 (~80.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~449 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- DCI-P3 100%
- HDR BT.2020
- Triluminos display
- X-Reality Engine
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.78 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 1 TB (uses shared SIM slot) – dual SIM model only
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1/2.6″, 1.4µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 5-axis OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, predictive PDAF, 2x optical zoom, 5-axis OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm
- Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR, eye tracking
- Video: [email protected]/30fps HDR, [email protected], [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS), [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS)
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- Dynamic vibration system
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Dolby Atmos sound
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB Host
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Models: J8210, J8270, J9210
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Ion 3140 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W (USB Power Delivery 2.0)
- USB Power Delivery
Sony Xperia 5 Price and Availability
The Xperia 5 will be sold with a price tag starting at $799.
TellForce Blog Buyer’s Guide Verdict
At $799, the Xperia 5 will receive steep competition from the iPhone 11, should Apple maintains the $749 starting price for its 6.1-inch phone, which is slated to be announced next week. Additionally, the Galaxy S10e also offers a charmingly compact flagship experience for $50 less than Sony’s latest. We look forward to finding out how the Xperia 5 measures up against those juggernauts in a few months’ time.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as TellForce Blog may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.
Sony Xperia 5 Review Rating
We are yet to review the Xperia 5 and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about Xperia 5 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.