The Honor Play 3 was unveiled alongside the the Honor 20S. It’s an entry-level device with a 48MP sensor in its triple camera and 4,000mAh in its battery.
The 48MP sensor sits behind an f/1.8 lens and is joined by an 8MP ultra wide camera with 120° field of view. The third module is a depth sensor. The punch-hole selfie camera packs an 8MP sensor.
It’s surrounded by the 6.39-inch IPS LCD with 720 x 1,560px resolution. The screen is guarded by an unbranded scratch-resistant aluminosilicate glass. The official numbers claim 90% screen to body ratio, in part because Honor managed to reduce the size of the punch hole by 30% to 4.5mm.
The Huawei’s sub-brand company claims the phone is water resistant, though it only shows an IP5x rating (meaning it’s dustproof). There are three color options, all of them with an interesting triangular pattern on the back.
The Honor Play 3 is powered by the Kirin 710F chipset with four Cortex-A73 cores and four A53, plus a Mali-G51 MP4 GPU. The base configuration has 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage, but the options are strange – you can have 6GB of RAM with 64GB storage or 4GB of RAM and 128GB storage. There’s a microSD card slot, so you can have the best of both worlds, but we still feel that a 6/128GB version would have made more sense.
Anyway, the phone has a 4,000mAh battery with 10W charging, which needs 2 hours 30 minutes to fill the battery completely. Unfortunately, the phone has a microUSB port.
Honor Play 3 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat6 400/50 Mbps
- Announced: September, 2019
- Status: Available, September 17, 2019
- Dimensions: 158.9 x 76.1 x 8.1 mm (6.26 x 3.00 x 0.32 in)
- Weight: 176 g (6.21 oz)
- Colours: Magic Night Black, Aurora Blue, Charm Red
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.39 inches, 100.2 cm2 (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1560 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~269 ppi density)
- Android 9.0 (Pie), EMUI 9.1
- Chipset: Hisilicon Kirin 710F (12 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.2 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G51 MP4
- Storage: 64GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Card slot: microSD, up to 1 TB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Triple
- 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.4, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, depth sensor
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected]
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- USB: microUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 10W
Honor Play 3 Price & Availability
The Honor Play 3 starts at
- 4/64GB model: CNY 1,000 (~$140/€125).
- Both the 6/64GB and 4/128GB versions cost the same – CNY 1,300.
Pre-orders will start on September 10 and the first units will be shipped starting on September 17.
Honor Play 3 Review Rating
We are yet to review the Honor Play 3 and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about Honor Play 3 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.