Unveiled earlier in 2019, the Redmi Note 7 series has been one of the best-selling Note lineups for Xiaomi’s budget-focused sub-brand. The series recently reached 20 million phones sold milestone to date, which is a good report for company in just seven months. Well, Xiaomi is not stopping there as it now aim to build on this milestone with the Redmi Note 8 Pro and Redmi Note 8 that was launched in China today.
The Redmi Note 8 series come with a powerful new chipset, waterdrop notches, quad-cameras, and a lot more. So, let’s check out the arsenals the Redmi Note 8 and Note 8 Pro pack in order to tackle Realme’s growing presence in the budget segment.
Redmi Note 8 Pro
The design of the Redmi Note 8 Pro takes inspiration from the Redmi K20 series announced back in July. It’s a glass-sandwich construction with a 3D curved design for a comfortable Gorilla Glass 5 protection, but minus all of the smoky effect that we saw on the K20. But, that’s okay.
Redmi Note 8 Pro features a 6.53-inch Full-HD+ LTPS LCD display, with a 2340 x 1080 pixels resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio and 91.4% screen-to-body ratio. And no, you’re not getting a fully bezel-less experience here, but instead, Redmi Note 8 Pro has a waterdrop notch design with a 20MP sensor for selfies on the front.
The Note 8 Pro is powered by the MediaTek Helio G90T game-centric chipset that was unveiled just recently. The company had already confirmed this prior to launch, reinforcing that the Redmi Note series will again be packing a MediaTek chipset after a long time. Redmi Note 2, which was launched back in 2015, was the last Note series to be powered by a MediaTek chipset.
This chipset onboard is backed by liquid cooling technology to dissipate heat while your intensive gaming sessions. It’s a feature that has trickled down from the Poco F1 to the Redmi K20 and now the budget Redmi Note 8 Pro as well. There’s support for MediaTek HyperEngine and Game Turbo 2.0. It’s further coupled with up to 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage.
In the camera department, the Redmi Note 8 Pro is` outfitted with four cameras which are aligned along the center of the rear panel. The primary sensor here is the much-awaited 64MP ISOCELL Bright GW1 sensor that the company talked about at its camera event in China earlier this month. It’s paired with an 8MP ultra-wide lens with 120-degree field-of-view, a 2MP depth sensor, and a 2MP macro sensor sitting under the flash on the right of the camera module. It supports 960fps super slo-mo video recording as well.
Redmi Note 8 Pro comes equipped with a bigger 4,500mAh battery as compared to the 4,000mAh battery pack inside its predecessor. It has Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0+ fast-charging support out-of-the-box, which is great. The smartphone runs Android Pie-based MIUI 10 and offers all necessary connectivity options, including Wi-Fi anti-locking feature for improved latency, NFC, and Gamepad support via Bluetooth.
There’s a physical fingerprint sensor on the rear panel, embedded into the camera module itself. You also get a USB Type-C port, 3.5mm headphone jack, and a Smart PA-backed speaker module. It also has an IP52 rating, which means it touts limited water and dust resistance.
Redmi Note 8 Pro Specifications in Table
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- Announced: August 29, 2019
- Status: September, 2019
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 76.4 x 8.8 mm (6.35 x 3.01 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 199 g (7.02 oz)
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5)
- Colours: Black, Red, Blue, White
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.53 inches, 104.7 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G90T (12nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2x Cortex-A76 & 6x Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali G76
- Storage: 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM
- Card slot: microSD, up to 256 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/1.7″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 8 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5″, 1.75µm (dedicated macro camera)
- 2 MP, f/2.4, 1/5″, 1.75µm, depth sensor
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, (gyro-EIS)
- Selfie Camera: Single -20 MP
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected]
- FM Radio: Yes, Recording
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 4+)
Redmi Note Pro Price and Availability
The Redmi Note 8 Pro price tag is as follow;
- 6GB/64GB variant goes for $205
- 6GB/128GB variant goes for $235
- 8GB/128GB version goes for $265
TellForce Blog Buyer’s Guide Verdict
A successor to the popular Redmi Note 7 series, Redmi Note 8 Pro is the first mobile phone with a 64MP camera. It is also the first smartphone to use MediaTek’s gaming-centric Helio G90T chipset, and yes; there is a liquid cooling system inside.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as TellForce Blog may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.
Redmi Note 8 Pro Review Rating
We are yet to review the Redmi Note 8 Pro and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about Redmi Note 8 Pro are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.