Nokia under the ownership of HMD Global has announced that it’s adding another year of security updates to the Nokia 8, Nokia 6, Nokia 5 and Nokia 3. The phones will get the update on a quarterly basis until October 2020.
The Nokia 2 will get its last security patch in November of 2019 while Amazon-branded Nokia 6 in the US and India will get their last security patch in October 2019.
Remember that security updates are different from major OS updates. It’s unknown whether these phones will receive Android Q when it drops, but odds are slim given how far after their promised update window it falls.
HMD promises 3 years of security updates as part of its Android One program but only promised 2 years when it began launching Android phones back in 2017. It’s nice that it’s over-delivering on the promises made for the old phones, though.
Quarterly security update switch dates:
- Nokia 2: Security patch support will conclude in November 2019
- Nokia 3: Quarterly updates from September 2019 until September 2020.
- Nokia 5: Quarterly updates from October 2019 until October 2020.
- Nokia 6*: Quarterly updates from October 2019 until October 2020.
- Nokia 8: Quarterly updates from October 2019 until October 2020.
*For users of Nokia 6 Amazon (USA and India), the security patch support will conclude in October 2019