After a long wait, the much anticipated messaging app from MTN is finally here, and it is called Ayoba. The is set to rival the two popular instant messenger WhatsApp and Telegram in Africa.
The new app has a good number of features besides just messaging which makes it quite useful. It’s possible you’ve heard of ‘Ayoba’ before in relation to MTN and that is because it was formerly used in one of their media campaigns.
You may want to ask, “why the name Ayoba?” According to MTN, it simply means ‘super cool’… meaning every MTN service is super cool. Optimized for memory efficiency as its size is drastically small when compared to WhatsApp.
Well, the app has been in beta for months, which means you may experience some glitches while using it.
A major difference from other instant messaging apps is that Ayoba has SMS integration. What this means is that you can send a message to anyone even if they are not using Ayoba.
Just like WhatsApp, you register with your number when you download the app and then you input a code that will be sent to that number for verification. Also, you get to choose the language you want from English, Pidgin (Cameroon), Francais, Cote d’Ivoire Jula, Xhosa to Zulu.
Considering the app is for people in Africa only, the selection of languages available makes a lot of sense but you can still expect more later on. The interface is quite simple but it still carries a shade of yellow which is inspired by MTN’s brand color, although, you can still use your own wallpaper from your phone.
More Interesting Features Of Ayoba
1. Sending And Receiving Of SMS By Non-Ayoba Users For Free
For beginners, you can send messages to contacts that are not on WhatsApp for free but the person will see it as what you have below. However, MTN users can reply to the message for free without incurring any charges or even downloading the app.
There is a feature called channels on the app which is like a feed where you can get cooking tips, sport news and more depending on the channel of choice. As earlier mentioned, MTN promises end-to-end encryption to keep your data safe and ensure privacy.
5. Mobile Money Service
MTN says it will be adding it Mobile Money service to the app and users will be able to send and receive money directly from the app in the future. This could be what MTN is waiting after it officially announce its successfully acquisition of a Super Agent Licence from the Central Bank of Nigeria to aid its Fintech -Yello Digital Financial Services Limited.
4. Many More Features
There are other features like sending images, documents, audio, emoji and group chat are available in the Ayoba app. You can also make voice calls but note that you will be charged for voice calls from your airtime at your normal standard rate.
10 Special Features of Ayoba
- Free to Use: Ayoba is free to use. You need data to send messages and files to your contacts, but some networks (e.g. MTN) may provide this data for free too.
- Easy Sharing: Share videos, images, audio, and other files with your contacts.
- Quick Connect: Use your existing address book to quickly and easily connect you with your contacts.
- Calls: You can make calls within the app using your voice connection
- Chat Now: Instantly send and receive text and voice messages with any of your contacts.
- End-to-end encryption. Meaning your messages cannot be read by anyone else
- Group Chat: You can create your own group, to easily communicate with friends and family.
- Location Sharing: You can share real time location with your contacts without hassle
- Chat with Everyone: end SMS text messages with anyone in your contact list, regardless of whether they’ve installed Ayoba or not
- Money Transfer: Make and receive payments via Mobile Money (Coming Soon)
Where To Download Ayoba
The app is only available for Android users but MTN says a version for iOS and other platforms is coming soon. To download the app on your Android smartphone, simply head HERE or go straight to Google play store.
Just like WhatsApp, the installation process is pretty simple, all you need is a verification pin that will be sent to your desired phone number to be used.